VS 2010 Resource Editor 'Add Existing File' doesn't remember its current directory by Jason Williams

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Opened: 4/7/2011 9:16:59 AM

In the Visual Studio 2010 (SP1) Resource editor, the "Add Existing File" option always starts its Open File dialog in "C:\Windows\System32", which is an inconvenient location - it's not even on the same drive as the Project/Solution I am working on.

This bug is present in both the Premium RTM and Ultimate SP1 releases of VS2010.
Posted by pelazem on 12/12/2013 at 1:24 PM
Still not fixed in Visual Studio 2013!
Posted by Derek Kalweit on 5/3/2012 at 11:54 AM
This has annoyed me for quite some time, and just found this via a Google search. I voted it up, but per Microsoft's response below, it's unlikely it will ever get fixed(it might take all of 5 minutes, after all)...

Anyways, I did find a suitable work-around for my scenario that I wanted to share! Simply use Explorer to navigate to the path with your resources(icons, pngs, etc.) and drag/drop them into the resource list in VS2010. This is actually faster for me, as I have PNG's and an icon for each graphic I add, and this way I can add both with one step, instead of switching between the 'icon' resource section and the 'images' resource section, clicking 'Add Resource'->Existing->find path->select, etc... Hopefully this saves someone considerable time, as it's saved me.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/1/2011 at 12:37 PM
Hi Jason,

Thank you for reporting this issue. At this time we do not have plans to address this issue as we are prioritizing fixing other issues with more customer feedback. As a result, I'm resolving this issue as "Won't Fix". We periodically review votes on bugs marked as "Won't Fix" and if this is an issue for more users, please help us prioritize this by voting on it.

Thanks,
Cathy Sullivan
Program Manager, Visual Studio Pro Team
Posted by Microsoft on 4/7/2011 at 9:50 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 4/7/2011 at 10:15 AM