Visual Studio 2010 breaks Wacom tablets Volito and Bamboo Fun - by Serioja Sidorov

Deferred<br /><br />
		The product team has reviewed this issue and has deferred it for consideration at a later time.<br /><br />

Opened 7/8/2011 6:58:46 AM
Moderator Decision Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

Hi,

I am using Wacom tablets for many years. Since I've installed Visual Studio 2010, I started to have problems with my both tablets: Volito and Bamboo Fun. The mouse pointer can be controlled properly with tablet pen in all other applications, but at some point in time will just be frozen in some of the Visual Studio 2010 windows. It continue to work properly in some other windows of  Visual Studio 2010 and might also work properly in other instances of Visual Studio 2010.

I have this problem with both tablets. Another very interesting thing is that in Bamboo Fun you can control the mouse pointer also with the finger, because the surface of the tablet is finger sensitive. When the cursor is frozen in a Visual Studio 2010 window, it still can be controlled with the finger in that window, even if it can't be controlled by the tablet pen. This makes me think that this might be actually a wacom driver issue.

Regards,
Sergiu Sidorov
Posted by Microsoft on 9/27/2011 at 1:24 PM
We've generated the log files from customers but we need to get an in-house repro. We'll continue to try out the hardware in our lab to try and reproduce this, but it may take some time. We'll copy this to our backlog and continue to try and repro this.

Visual Studio Platform Team
Posted by Serioja Sidorov on 7/25/2011 at 12:13 AM
In my case the the 'Tablet PC Input Service' is completely disabled, because I've read on internet that it might influence the Wacom tablet. If I set in on Manual mode and start it, nothing will change: the Wacom pen is still frozen in certain windows of Visual Studio 2010.

If you have problems reproducing this issue, maybe I can help by running some programs that produce a stack dump, or a log files, or something like that. I used the Wacom pen as a mouse replacement till the release of Visual Studio 2010, for 7-8 years. But not I can't do that anymore, because of this issue. Would be happy to help you reproduce this issue and solve the problem. It might be a Wacom driver problem, but somehow only in combination with Visual Studio 2010. I've used it starting with Windows XP in all programs, including Visual Studio and never had a problem before the release of Visual Studio 2010.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/14/2011 at 10:28 PM
I will say that we've had issues with bad drivers from Wacom in the past. We've tried to get these to repro (we have several tablets in our test lab) but for some reason it's very specific to the driver, OS updates installed, and other factors that haven't allowed us to get a repro.

Can you try disabling the Tablet PC Input Service and see if the issue still repros?
    1. Press the Windows Key
    2. Type "services.msc" in the search bar and press Enter
    3. Double click on "Tablet PC Input Service" and click "Stop" and set the startup type to "Manual"
    4. If the issue still repros, try to reenable the service and see if the issue persists.

Thanks,
Weston Hutchins
Program Manager - VS Platform

Posted by MS-Moderator07 [Feedback Moderator] on 7/10/2011 at 10:24 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Robert Leahey on 7/10/2011 at 12:30 PM
I'll second this; I have the same problem, though it's intermittent. This happens for me on both the large BAMBOO Touch & Pen tablet and an older, small BAMBOO MTE-450 tablet. Latest drivers from Wacom are installed.
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 7/8/2011 at 7:50 AM