Open multiple solution in a single Visual Studio instance - by anoneemus

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

Type Suggestion Repros 0
Opened 7/26/2011 9:06:39 AM

Hello,

I would like to be able to work with multiple solutions within a single VS instance (maybe by way of another tab bar on the side of the screen??).  Currently, given larger solutions several solution files exist in a single environment for all our apps but they all inter-relate and often times cross-solution reference is necessary to build new features and apps.  It's a bit of a hassle to have several VS instances to let me work as I need to.  Also, for TFS integration it would be nice to have a separate tab just to manage work items as something I may be working on take having multiple solutions open as well as a series of tickets to make sure all the pieces are correct.
Posted by spatemp on 7/14/2012 at 5:03 AM
I would also like to have this feature to be able to do this from just one instance of visual studio. Sometime, developer thinks they get measured on how many solutions and projects they can create to show as if this project is very complex.

Lot of j2ee IIDE sort of works in this fashion. It makes ton of sense to me.
Posted by Roise1 on 12/13/2011 at 11:56 PM
I would also like to have this feature, would make my work much easier.
Working with multiple solutions now is a hassle, and eats to much memory, combined with FireFox's memory problems 8GB disappears fast.
Hope this feature will be made !
Posted by Microsoft on 8/5/2011 at 11:41 AM
Thanks Greg. We have noted this suggestion.
Posted by GregP55305 on 7/29/2011 at 5:34 AM
I would love to be able to do that! I am frequently working in multiple solutions that cannot be combined into a single solution and keeping them all straight even with multiple monitors is a pain in the butt.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/27/2011 at 4:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. We haven't heard many customers ask for it, and it's not currently planned. We'll keep it on our list of ideas.
Dan