Refactor->Rename in Schema View crashes Visual Studio - by Jamie Thomson

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

Opened 9/14/2011 1:47:29 AM
Moderator Decision Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

I have a datadude project (aka Visual Studio Database Project) in which any attempt to carry out a Refactor->Rename operation crashes Visual Studio. The same occurs on a colleague's machine (thus proving that it isn't just a problem with my machine).

Interestingly if I deploy the project to a database, import back into a brand new datadude project, and then attempt a Refactor->Rename everythnig works fine. Unfortunately this is not an option for me because I have a lot of other "stuff" in my project (all of which is valid inside a datadude project) and I also have the history of the project in source control - hence I do not want to start afresh from a brand new project.

I reported this on the datadude forum (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstsdb/thread/aa222478-40ff-45d6-9d74-04c159e3ceee) where I have been discussing this matter with your MSDN Community Support rep Vicky Song. I emailed a Vicky a copy of the project and her response (as you can see at the link above) was:

"I got your project, and I can reproduce the same issue as you. Just as you described above, when I do the refactor operation, the Visual Studio crashes."

Vicky has attempted to get someone within the project group to look at this but unfortunately (in her own words) "I am not allowed to contact PG members directly".
This seems rather strange to me given that she has proved there is a bug here so instead I am raising the bug in this Connect submission.

I will attach to this Connect submission the same zip file that I emailed to Vicky. Steps to reproduce are below. Note that Connect has a tendancy to lose submission attachments; if this happens email me offline (jamie[at]jamie[DOT]thomson[DOT]net) and I can email the attachment to you.

Posted by Jamie Thomson on 3/14/2012 at 12:00 AM
John,
Thank you for the candid response, your apology is accepted.

To be honest, it HAS dissuaded me from giving feedback in the future. I know myself and deep down I know I will probably continue to do so, but I am reaching the point where I'm beginning to wonder whether its worth the hassle (I experience many more disappointments with Connect than just the lack of response here).

Great to know that the issue is fixed in SSDT.

thanks
Jamie
Posted by Microsoft on 3/13/2012 at 4:54 PM
Hi Jamie,

First of all, I apologize for the way this issue was handled. We value the fact that folks like yourself take the time to provide feedback on our products. It is our goal to respond to every feedback we receive via Connect - unfortunately in this instance this slipped through the cracks and we messed up. I'm really sorry about that, I hope this experience has not dissuaded you from providing feedback going forward.

Regarding this particular issue... going forward this functionality will be part of the new SQL Server Development Tools (SSDT) package, a preview of which is available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/gg427686. We checked into it, and this issue does not appear to repro with the new toolset (that's a good thing).

Regards,
John Stallo
Visual Studio team
Posted by Jamie Thomson on 11/18/2011 at 7:30 AM
This has been closed as "Won't fix" with no explanation as to why. How about doing me the decency of an explanation given I went to fairly great lengths to submit it.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/16/2011 at 1:09 AM
Thank you for your update. We are rerouting this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Jamie Thomson on 9/15/2011 at 1:14 AM
Hi there,
OK, I have uploaded to that site. The filename is FeedbackID-688259_Lloyds.UKTax.DB.zip

I have also attempted to reattached it to this Connect item (filename Lloyds.UKTax.DB.zip)

Regards
Jamie
Posted by Microsoft on 9/15/2011 at 12:58 AM
Hi Jamie,

Could you please give us a demo project?

Please zip the file and use "FeedbackID-688259" as prefix of the file name. You can use the following workspace to upload the file:
Password: 58oVCW*+@Q02Q

Thank you.
Posted by MS-Moderator10 [Feedback Moderator] on 9/14/2011 at 6:25 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 9/14/2011 at 2:44 AM