After installing VS2011 Preview, running D3D11 apps in debugger print bogus errors. - by clbri

External<br /><br />
		This item may be valid but belongs to an external system out of the direct control of this product team.<br /><br />

Opened 11/12/2011 1:20:21 PM
Moderator Decision Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

I installed the VS2011 Developer Preview from here (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/vstudio/hh127353), compiling and running D3D11 code brings up bogus warnings into VS Debug Output window, making D3D11 application debugging from VS impossible.

I tried the DXSDK tutorials to see if the problem occurs only in my code, or also on existing samples, and noticed that it is not only my code. As an example, the following For example, building and running Tutorial05 from the DXSDK (June 2010) spams errors in the VS Debug Output at a very fast rate.

Posted by Microsoft on 11/14/2011 at 2:30 PM
Got it. Thanks for the followup. As I mentioned though, the bug has been moved to the directx team. I asked them to followup directly with you if there are any questions. More than likely this has already been fixed and you'll see much improved behavior in the next release of these bits.

Thanks again,
Jim
Posted by clbri on 11/14/2011 at 2:20 PM
The steps I posted below do not really solve the problem. They only describe how to completely clean your system from leftover D3D files after having uninstalled VS2011 Developer Preview, to be able to revert VS2010 (Express) to work again. Simply uninstalling VS2011 DP does not restore D3D DLLs to its previous state, and the problem persisted.

So, there is something wrong with the D3D that ships with VS2011 Developer Preview, and I was not able to fix the issue. I could only uninstall and clean up everything related to VS2011 DP by the forcible steps I described.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/14/2011 at 11:19 AM
Hi clbri,

Thanks for the feedback. I am a bit confused by the followup here. It sounds as though you've been able to find a solution the problem. Irregardless, I have opened a separate bug for the Microsoft DirectX team to take a look at. Unfortunately, that bug database is not linked to Connect, so getting automatic feedback back to you on a resolution is not going to happen, but I've requested that manual feedback be done.

I'm going to resolve this bug as External, since it does not directly apply to VS.

Thanks,
Jim Griesmer
Visual C++ Team
Posted by MS-Moderator09 [Feedback Moderator] on 11/13/2011 at 9:48 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for review. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by clbri on 11/12/2011 at 4:28 PM
As another attempt, I
1. Run cmd prompt as administrator, and navigated to C:\Windows.
2. Executed "del /s D3D11*.dll"
3. Executed "del /s D3DCompiler*.dll"
4. Uninstalled DXSDK Jun 2010.
5. Reinstalled DXSDK Jun 2010.

After those steps, compiling and debugging a D3D11 application from VS2010 no longer spams the error lines to the debug console.
Posted by clbri on 11/12/2011 at 2:57 PM
As another workaround attempt, I reinstalled DXSDK Jun 2010, but that does not fix the issue either.
Posted by clbri on 11/12/2011 at 2:40 PM
As a workaround attempt, I
1. Uninstalled everything related to VS2011 Developer Preview.
2. Uninstalled everything related to VS2010 C++ Express and SP1.
3. Reinstalled VS2010 C++ Express.
4. Reinstalled VS2010 C++ Express SP1.

That sequence does not remove the problem i.e. even with VS2011 DP removed from the system, the issue persists, and I get errors printed from my D3D11 application, and the Tutorial05 sample from DXSDK.
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 11/12/2011 at 1:42 PM
Posted by Lars Viklund on 11/12/2011 at 1:39 PM
The warnings are not bogus, they truly indicate that there's something quite broken about the compiled shaders. Creating an input layout against a shader compiled when VS11DP is installed will have a significant deterministic chance of crashing internally while disassembling the shader.

This happens even if the application is not built with the VS11 toolset, all it takes is for VS11 to be installed on the system.