mt.exe error - by bdpdonp

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

ID 720343 Comments
Opened 1/23/2012 12:24:08 PM
Moderator Decision Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

Project build, random occurance of error.  Executable is locked, sometimes unlocks if I wait and other times I need to reboot.

1>  Fleet Command.vcxproj -> C:\Development\Projects\C++\Fleet Command\.\Redist\Fleet Command.exe
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(574,5): error MSB6006: "mt.exe" exited with code 31.

Environment:
Windows 7 64 bit
Posted by Microsoft on 3/18/2012 at 6:30 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 2010 and the .NET Framework. At this point, it has been more than two weeks since we initially requested additional information to reproduce your issue. Since we have not heard back from you we will close the issue. If you need further assistance on this or any other pre-release product issues in the future, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/27/2012 at 11:34 PM
Hello,

In order to fix the issue, we need to reproduce this issue but there is not enough information in the bug description. It may help if you provide us with:
1. A demo project.
2. More steps to reproduce the problem

Thank you very much.
Posted by bdpdonp on 2/22/2012 at 7:51 AM
I have tried it using the Hello World off the MSDN site. The error occurs with both VS 2010 and VS2011 CTP. At this point I have abandoned CS2010 C++ and gone to C# that has its own documented known bugs.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/22/2012 at 3:57 AM
I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience with information I request, we will be able to make headway towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/15/2012 at 12:11 AM
Thanks for your update. In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue. But we are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

For any build related issue we really need a /v:diag log attached. You can get them easily by going to Tools/Options, Projects/Solutions, Build/Run, and setting the MSBuild verbosity to "Diagnostic" in both dropdowns. Then, just copy/paste from the Output Window in the IDE.

For command line, you can pass in "/v:diag" switch to MSBuild.EXE and it will produce a diagnostic-level log.

We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by bdpdonp on 2/8/2012 at 10:44 AM
The error occurs with a simple Hello world project. It is random and cannot be forced. The exe file, after a build is locked, I cannod delete it manually. Usually if I wait a few minuutes everything is fine. While it is locked I cannot access the permissions of the file, delete it etc. However, I can run it.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/8/2012 at 3:48 AM
Hello,

Sorry for bothering. Is there any update?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible.

Thank you!
Posted by Microsoft on 1/31/2012 at 3:55 AM
Hello,

Could you please give us a demo project to demonstrate this issue so that we can conduct further research? We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Thanks!
Posted by MS-Moderator10 [Feedback Moderator] on 1/23/2012 at 9:44 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 1/23/2012 at 12:42 PM
Posted by bdpdonp on 1/23/2012 at 12:28 PM
I forgot to mention I have the latest Windows SDK and DirectX SDK, for Windows 7.