With regard to the proposed monochromatic IDE changes in Visual Studio 11 detailed in the following blog post:
Please take note of the the volume and strength of the negative comments on these highly controversial changes. Clearly, the number of users against this are too large to ignore.
Please take time to reflect on the comments, and consider the alternatives, such as making these contentious changes optional.
Here's just some reasons why the changes are provoking such a charged response:
* Users develop a visual memory, and changing the icons means re-learning them.
* Far from distracting users, colour helps quickly identify icons.
* Grey is drab and depressing.
* The monochrome icons are difficult to distinguish.
* Third party add-ins with colour icons will look completely out of place.
* Nobody asked for these changes to be made and no community feedback was requested or demoed before these changes were undertaken.
* Many people are exasperated that time has been wasted on these unwanted changes when there are so many other areas (as voted on here on Connect and on UserVoice) that need to be addressed.