Publish web feature not including all dlls - by Donatas

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

Opened 3/15/2012 1:12:06 AM

Publishing web project does not include libraries that are referenced by libraries referenced by web project.
So
Web Project -> ProjectA (class library) -> DependencyForProjectA

Publishing Web Project would not include DependencyForProjectA _if_ ProjectA does not make any use of types found in DependencyForProjectA directly. Thought they might be used via reflection or IoC containers.

This bug report is duplicate of already closed bug report https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/637071/publish-web-feature-not-including-all-dlls

More developers having this issue http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2815616/visual-studio-2010-publish-web-feature-not-including-all-dlls
Posted by Michael Tsai on 5/8/2013 at 1:43 AM
I have the same issue today.
My workaround: modify the DLL project's AssemblyInfo.cs, change both AssemblyVersion and AssemblyFileVersion from "1.0.0.0" to "1.0.*", then Publish Web, and the DLL is updated correctly.
After that, I change them back to "1.0.0.0", and this problem seems gone forever. Weird.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/17/2012 at 9:25 AM
I will go ahead and close this item, but if you have any specific concerns please feel free to reach out to me by email at sayedha@microsoft.com.

Thanks,
Sayed Ibrahim Hashimi | http://sedodream.com
Posted by Microsoft on 7/17/2012 at 9:22 AM
Hi Donatas, I looked into this an the issue is deep within the C#/VB compilers so the issue is not even surfaced inside of MSBuild. At this point we may not be able to do much here for current projects but there may be something that we can do here for the short term. We are looking at other ways that we can solve this but we are not quite there yet. We understand that this is an issue and we are looking at it, but cannot commit to anything now. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks,
Sayed Ibrahim Hashimi
Posted by Andreas Ravnestad on 7/2/2012 at 4:36 AM
Hi! Any progress on this? We are experiencing this exact bug and would love to see a workaround or fix :) The DependencyForProjectA currently has to be referenced in any project we wish to publish, which is maintenance hell :/

Thanks for looking into this, Sayed!
Posted by Microsoft on 5/22/2012 at 8:54 PM
Hi Donatas, I just looked at this again and after talking to someone I was able to reproduce this. I am investigating further. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Sayed Ibrahim Hashimi | http://sedodream.com
Posted by Microsoft on 5/11/2012 at 8:16 PM
Hi Donatas, I just tried this once again using Visual Studio 11 and I think that it's been resolved. Most likely it was fixed in MSBuild 4.5. Can you try with VS 11 and let me know what you find out? FYI you may run into another bug (which has already been fixed but not released yet), which may impact this repro. Sometimes when you publish in VS 11 many assemblies from the bin\ folder were not getting picked up. To work around this you can switch the build configuration in VS to match that on the Web publish dialog (default is Release) and Rebuild. Then publish your web application again. This bug related to the C# build being taken out of process for VS 11 and all the references were not being communicated back correctly. This bug has already been fixed.

If you find that you are still able to repro this bug, can you attach a sample project which demonstrates it? That would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Sayed Ibrahim Hashimi http://sedodream.com/
Posted by Microsoft on 5/11/2012 at 7:50 PM
Hi Donatas, thanks for the feedback. I do realize that this is an issue. This relates to how MSBuild communicates the referenced assemblies to us. Let me look into this a bit deeper with my team to see what we can do here. I will get back to you.

Thanks,
Sayed Ibrahim Hashimi | http://sedodream.com/
Posted by Microsoft on 5/10/2012 at 12:31 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 11 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for review. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by rodriguepf on 4/27/2012 at 10:22 AM