Silverlight 5 Tools Bug - "Loading toolbox content from package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.IED.ToolboxControlsInstaller.ToolboxInstallerPackage' {2C298B35-07DA-45F1-96A3-BE55D91C8D7A}" - by bsfiosco

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 4/4/2012 11:16:02 PM
Moderator Decision Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

After installing Silverlight 5 Tools on my machine, I launch visual studio and click on the Toolbox bar, Visual Studio then locks up for 3-5 minutes while initializes the toolbar.  VS displays:

This occurs every time I click on the toolbar for the first time when I launch an instance of VS.  To verify that the issue was not being caused by any other extensions or add-on's I created a VM and installed a fresh copy of VS and upgraded it to SP1, etc.  I then added all of my add on's and extensions and each time it would take 5 seconds or less to initialize the toolbar.  I then installed the Silverlight 5 Tools and the problem returned again.

To fix the problem I had to completely uninstall all of the Silverlight 5 Tools and then rebuild the toolbar.  Rebuilding the toolbar without uninstalling the tools did not fix the problem.  Uninstalling the tools was the only solution.

It appears there may be an issue with the toolbar itself or perhaps the toolkit initialization code needs to be optimized.  It almost seems like it has to do a full initialization of the Silverlight tools every time the toolbar is clicked.  I have seen other toolbar extensions cause the same error the first time I open the toolbar after installing them, the difference however is it was 20-30 seconds and only the first time after installing.  After that the toolbar would load in 2-3 seconds max as usual.

It would be really great if you could look into this and resolve it sometime soon.  Our company is moving away from Silverlight and LightSwitch specifically because of this bug as it is taking too much time away from the development team while we wait for the tools to load every time we lauch a new VS instance.  This is a real productivity killer and needs to be fixed.  We are running on Quad Core CPU's with 4GB of RAM so resources are not an issue.
Posted by Shaggee on 12/9/2014 at 10:27 AM
Interesting since I have Visual Studio 2012 with the latest update (update 4) and Visual Studio 2013 with its latest update and I still have this issue in Visual Studio 2010.
Is there a reason why this is still happening?
Posted by Shaggee on 12/9/2014 at 10:26 AM
Is there a reason why this is still happening?
Posted by pickedaname on 1/10/2014 at 7:48 AM
Our environment uses Visual Studio 2010 and I do not think that your bugs should be the motivating driver to disturb our environment by upgrading the IDE we use.
Uninstalling the SDK now :)
Posted by Microsoft on 4/15/2013 at 11:04 PM
Hi, This issue is fixed in Visual Studio 2012. Please try with latest Visual Studio Update 2.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/15/2013 at 11:04 PM
Hi, This issue is fixed in Visual Studio 2012. Please try with latest Visual Studio Update 2 installed.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/15/2013 at 11:04 PM
Posted by Microsoft on 4/15/2013 at 11:04 PM
Posted by bsfiosco on 4/5/2012 at 5:15 PM
As a follow up I wanted to mention that after uninstalling the WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP2 did not fix the issue but after unistalling the Silverlight 5 SDK component and resetting the toolbar the problem went away. I did not have to uninstall the Silverlight 5 Developer runtime. So it would appear the issue is specifically tied to the Silverlight 5 SDK component of the Silverlight 5 Tools package.
Posted by MS-Moderator08 [Feedback Moderator] on 4/5/2012 at 2:13 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for review. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 4/4/2012 at 11:56 PM