VS 11 - Error when Attempting to Add New Controller to Project - by michael.lukatchik

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 4/10/2012 7:29:37 PM

I installed the latest BETA release of VS 11 from the Visual Studio website.  It was a clean installation.  I created a new MVC 4 empty project.  When I right-clicked the controllers folder and chose to add a new controller called "HomeController" (not a strongly typed controller), the following exception was thrown by Visual Studio:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Web\MVC4\CodeTemplates\AddController\Controller.tt(-1,-1) : error : There was a problem getting an AppDomain to run the transformation from the host.  The process cannot continue.

Posted by Raycito on 10/22/2012 at 4:38 PM
Similar issue running VS Professional 2012 32bit. Occurred immediately after installing SQL Server 2012 Enterprise. I however, was adding a new view by clicking View(); add new view.

Restart of VS 2012 solved this problem.
Posted by John Ciliberti on 4/28/2012 at 6:16 AM
I had a similar issue. Tried creating an empty controller. Fix was to restart Visual Studio.
Posted by 平江 on 4/23/2012 at 8:14 PM
I had seperate *Context class , all the entities and mapping classes to a Class Library Project from the Asp.net MVC4 project, so it happend. I think you can reproduce it by this way.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/12/2012 at 12:56 AM
Thanks for your feedback.
Based on current status, we'll go ahead and close this Connect issue. Should you find any bugs in the future, please feel free to let us know.
Thank you for using Visual studio Connect site.
Posted by michael.lukatchik on 4/11/2012 at 6:16 AM
Thanks for the quick follow-up. Today, 4/11/12, I started VS 11 up, went through the same motions, and I was successfully able to add a new empty controller to my class. The issue appears to have resolved itself. Hmm...

On a side note in thinking about the installation process, it went good. I went through the installation process, which required a reboot. After rebooting and landing back on my desktop, VS 11 went through some initialization / setup stuff. This setup step took probably another 10 minutes or so, and then VS 11 loaded. At that point, I immediately created the MVC 4 project and ran into my issue. I'm wondering if after the setup stuff I should have closed VS 11 and re-opened it before attempting to create the MVC 4 project. Just wondering if there was a blip in initializing something with the IDE on that first initial run after setup.

It probably doesn't matter, but VS 11 is installed side-by-side with VS 2008 and VS 2010.

Prior to this installation of VS 11, I did not have any version of the .NET 4.5 Framework or any version of VS 11 installed.

So, in the end, I suppose you can close this particular issue. I hope this info helps.

Thanks,
Mike Lukatchik
Posted by MS-Moderator08 [Feedback Moderator] on 4/11/2012 at 2:19 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.

In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Could you please upload a setup log file to help us investigate the issue?
You can get the log files with the following steps:
1) Download collect.exe from the link below. http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 4/10/2012 at 7:48 PM