Edit and Continue is not supported when debugging a 64-bit application. - by Deanna_D

Deferred<br /><br />
		The product team has reviewed this issue and has deferred it for consideration at a later time.<br /><br />

Opened 4/12/2012 7:34:46 PM
Moderator Decision Sent to Engineering Team for consideration

This was the topic of conversation tonight at a Houston .Net User Group meeting.  I realize others have asked and you've said no, but the lack of EnC in 64bit apps is a GIANT problem.  Many of us don't have the freedom to compile our app in 32bit mode - we are in environments that require 64bit modes.  After all, it is 2012 and even my 70 year old parents are running 64bit computers!

Please reconsider and get this in.  You're killing productivity for many of us.  You're making Java seem attractive to me and I didn't think that was possible!!!
Posted by jschroedl on 7/2/2013 at 12:59 PM
Looks like Microsoft has added 64-bit Edit and Continue:

Posted by ClubbieTim on 6/5/2013 at 12:55 PM
I can't express my disdain in not having this feature; my next project may very well be using Eclipse...
Posted by Mystcreater on 5/14/2013 at 11:54 AM
I'm afraid it's possible that the edit and continue will not work in 32 bits mode in VS 2014 :D
Don't be afraid, it's just a prediction ;)
Posted by sonicth on 2/7/2013 at 2:35 AM
x64 edit and continue should have shipped with MSVC 10, surely Microsoft can do it?
Posted by Shtan on 12/12/2012 at 3:24 PM
E&C in x64 is vital to timely & effective development.
I do not (nor does anyone in my 40 person + engineering team) have the ability to use x86 as all our code is in x64.
Please please please include this feature ASAP. It's costing me and my team time and money...
Posted by Leonard S. Foster on 8/21/2012 at 7:01 AM
Really, MSVC team, really? The Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 90-day trial does not contain Edit-and-Continue for x64 debugging, so I do not think it gets shipped in the Visual Studio 2012 RTM. From my point of view, Edit-and-Continue is a crucial feature, and not implementing it (among with the lack of nearly all advanced C++11 features) leaves only room for one conclusion: You are completely understaffed, and apparently this whole "C++ renaissance" thing is a joke. You really need to speed things up.
Posted by Don Andre on 8/16/2012 at 5:31 AM
We need edit and continue in 64bit!!! Why don't you work on the single best feature in Visual Studio!?
Posted by Microsoft on 4/17/2012 at 2:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, this issue will not be addressed in this release of Visual Studio and the CLR.

Thanks,
Visual Studio Team
Posted by Mark doing Visual Studio on 4/13/2012 at 12:17 PM
This seems like a no brainer. It is a bit embarrassing for Microsoft that the tool they provide to develop 64 bit applications is not 64 bit capable.
Posted by MS-Moderator08 [Feedback Moderator] on 4/13/2012 at 2:35 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 11 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for review. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 4/12/2012 at 7:50 PM