WP 7.5 compass magnetic reading error - by Bill McC

External<br /><br />
		This item may be valid but belongs to an external system out of the direct control of this product team.<br /><br />

Opened 4/25/2012 10:20:44 PM

The magnetic heading reading of the compass can show widely inaccurate readings, due to what seems to be an underlying type cast problem: Byte instead of Int16. Hence when the value should show 359 degrees it shows about 254 degrees.
A second problem also exists in that the magnetic declination is signifcantly different from what it should be.
Posted by anykill on 4/19/2013 at 8:59 AM
Same problem here in Brazil, lumia 800 north on west!
Posted by Perramus on 3/15/2013 at 6:58 AM
Second update in the same date (7.10.8862.144). The issue with the compass reamins unsolved, as we might expect.
Posted by Perramus on 3/15/2013 at 6:18 AM
New update today (7.10.8860.142) but the same fu***ng issue with the compass. I think I'll upgrade to an iPhone5 instead of a Lumia 920
Posted by troysch on 3/14/2013 at 5:40 PM
This is not only a WP 7.5 issue. This is the case with WP8 and Lumia 920 too.
I'm in Australia and needed to use an app in Store to rectify directions "Compass Fixer".

While you are at it... is there somehow we can have the Australian spelling based on Regional Format rather than based on the keyboard type. In Australia we use more UK english spelling than US english spelling BUT use the US keyboard.
Posted by Milton Candelero on 2/20/2013 at 7:50 AM
Twitted to almost everybody in redmond but you know what?

If they take their phones out of their pockets its going to work... Why?

THIS ONLY AFFECTS SOUTH HEMISPHERE!

Please microsoft say something. Anything.
I even take you saying "We dont care for you guys, move upnorth"

But please, say something :'(
Posted by RHComp29 on 2/2/2013 at 7:30 PM
I suggest we all tweet @joebelfiore for some movement on this issue.
Posted by Fenris27 on 1/31/2013 at 7:28 PM
I believe the issue was on the wish list for WP7.8 inclusion...but didn't get addressed.
Can we hope for another upgrade post 7.8 to fix this? Can MS please provide a patch for this!
I agree with below that it makes a lot of the location and direction apps useless on my Lumia 800!

At least can MS give us some feedback on this problem other than :

"We are rerouting this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue."

We feel abandoned in regards to this issue!
Posted by RHComp29 on 1/31/2013 at 3:21 AM
Ok, I just installed 7.8.... AND THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE.

For crying out loud... how freaking hard is it to fix this bug??? Some smarter people on the web have already dissected it and worked out WHY it's happening. All you (MS) need to do is patch it.

I've even attached a screenshot from Jack of Tools to show how out of whack it is.
Posted by Eduardo Neuhaus on 1/29/2013 at 10:37 PM
I am in the southern hemisphere but I am not sure about the hemisphere being the problem.

The value is clearly a byte, after 255 degrees it jumps to 0, but below 255 (somewhere between SW and W) it is pointing me the right direction. You can verify the value using a digital gauge for the magnetic heading.

If I use True Heading points me about 130 degrees off (even when magnetic reading is correct (below 255 degrees).

So if it's a byte it shouldn't work in any hemisphere. I believe the problem with the southern hemisphere is not related to that but to a incorrect magnetic declination. The byte value and the magnetic declination are two separate problems.

Posted by Perramus on 1/18/2013 at 3:08 AM
Not solved in 7.8. I have a Lumia 710 and after the upgrade the problem persist
Posted by RHComp29 on 1/2/2013 at 7:11 PM
If we don't get a fix in 7.8, I'm going to go back to iOS I think.
Posted by Perramus on 11/23/2012 at 7:35 AM
Same problem here in Argentina with Nokia Lumia 710. Can we expect it to be solved in 7.8? Nokia City Lens is completly useless
Posted by Jonathan F on 10/14/2012 at 2:02 AM
Same problem on my Nokia Lumia 710. This software bug needs a fix as compass vital for many applications.
Posted by Jibbah on 10/12/2012 at 8:08 PM
Same issue here, from New Zealand my compass is around 105 degrees out...which makes the compass completely useless and any apps that use it :(

Looks like a bug with the magnetic declination, users are reporting that its reading 130 degrees when in NZ it should be around 20 something degrees....hence the error in the reading. Since its a software bug please address it for southern hemisphere users!!!!
Posted by Go Make Limited on 10/7/2012 at 2:18 AM
Any updates yet Microsoft? This is a major pain for the users in the southern hemisphere.
Posted by elismas on 10/6/2012 at 1:57 PM
Would it be possible to know if this is planned to be fixed at least for WP 7.8? It is a bug literally affecting half of the world and the newly released Nokia lens map, which heavily uses the compass, exposes the flaw to a lot of users.
This should be an easy fix and not fixing this bug would be a really poor showing from Microsoft. I really like WP so please answer this. Thank you.
Posted by Bryce P on 9/23/2012 at 2:43 AM
I have a Nokia Lumia 800 (updated to 7.5) with the same problem and it is driving me nuts. It points due west even after calibration. My old iPhone compass worked perfectly.
Posted by hsimsMS on 8/21/2012 at 4:14 PM
Same issue in Australia with Nokia Lumia 800. Your triage VSP team has had 4 months and no solution or even an update on the matter?
Posted by Daniel Ballinger on 8/10/2012 at 12:57 PM
I've captured the Magnetometer data and started documenting the results here: http://www.fishofprey.com/2012/08/wp7-magnetometer-data-from-360-rotation.html
Posted by kiwidoc on 7/14/2012 at 2:54 AM
Pleased to see MS has noticed. This hs been driving me nuts since getting my Mozart. Compass out by 90 degrees here in New Zealand. North points west. Same with my wife's Lumia 800, so not hardware. Screws up my geocaching live app.
Please fix it!
Posted by Birraque on 7/10/2012 at 10:40 PM
I notice this same compass error issue on HTC Titan (X310a).
Posted by JChurcher on 5/29/2012 at 4:37 PM
We have repeated this bug on a Nokia Lumia 800 and an HTC Titan. The magnetic heading will move from 0-230 degrees (approx) as expected, before it makes an unexpected jump back to about 130 degrees. Further rotation then shows an incorrect bearing until it reaches a maximum of 250(ish) degrees.

Real world heading - Magnetic heading on phone
0 - 0
45 - 45
90 - 90
135 -135
180 - 180
225 - 225
270 - 165
315 - 210
360 - 255

Diagnostic checks show no errors. A number users on forums and user groups have tried returning their phone for repairs and while there are numerous reports of compass north pointing west. This is an extremely important problem, but due to the "true north" reading largely masking the flaw, it is not recognisable for most users.

We can also confirm the magnetic declination is grossly inaccurate. At our location we expect a -20 degree declination, instead it is showing extremely odd numbers. This may be caused by the compass bearing however.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/27/2012 at 2:28 AM
Posted by MS-Moderator07 [Feedback Moderator] on 4/26/2012 at 2:05 AM
Thanks for your feedback.