Visual Studio 2012 RC: upgrade and reinstallation issues - Package failed. by Noël Danjou

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 6/2/2012 10:47:07 AM

I first installed Visual Studio 2012 Premium RC over a Visual Studio 11 Premium Beta (the beta was a clean install) but I experienced many issues using the IDE. So I decided to uninstall Visual Studio 2012 RC and attempt to make a clean installation instead and see if that would fix some of the issues.

The uninstallation from the Control Panel completed successfully.

I also tried to fully remove the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0" since it is not supposed to exist for a clean installation but a "vi" subfolder in a LightSwitch folder could not be deleted (access denied) so I left it.

The installation completed with an error message:
"Microsoft LightSwitch for Visual Studio 2012 RC Core. Package failed."

I then tried to start VS2012 but got many errors like this one:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
---------------------------
The 'Visual Studio Component Model Host Package' package did not load correctly.The problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the installation of another extension. You can get more information by examining the file 'C:\Users\Noël Danjou\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ActivityLog.xml'.Continue to show this error message?
---------------------------
---------------------------

The application loaded but the UI remained a whole black frame and it was unusable. I closed it with ALT+F4.

I had a look at the Activity Monitor Log and found the errors below:

"Activity Monitor Log

...

13 Warning The CTM file is out of date and should be deleted and rebuilt, but the file 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\1033\devenv.CTM' could not be deleted. VisualStudio 2012/06/02 08:54:55.706

...

78 ERROR SetSite failed for packageSetSite failed for package {49D12072-378B-4FFA-A09E-40E0B5D097CC} 80070005 - E_ACCESSDENIED VisualStudio 2012/06/02 08:54:57.626
79 ERROR End package loadEnd package load {49D12072-378B-4FFA-A09E-40E0B5D097CC} 80070005 - E_ACCESSDENIED VisualStudio 2012/06/02 08:54:57.630"

I deleted the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0" folder but VS 2012 could not start and I was asked to reinstall it , this is what I just did. This time the error at the end of the setup was:

"Microsoft® Windows® Operating System. The event log file is full."

I cleared all the logs from the Event Viewer for which a Clear option was available but of course it was a bit late in the process. I also made sure that all were set to "Overwrite events as needed."

I can now start the IDE and most issues that I was experiencing after the beta upgrade seems to have gone. But because of the reported errors, the install may not be as clean as it should be.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/15/2012 at 12:53 PM
Hi Noël,
Thanks for your continued feedback and for trying those steps. I'm glad to hear Visual Studio is working for you after you last reinstall.

Thanks,
Jordan Hofker
Posted by Noël Danjou on 6/15/2012 at 2:52 AM
Hi Jordan,

The number format settings in Region and Language are set to English indeed and the "Negative sign symbol" already is "-". Since the last reintallation I didn't encounter any issue with the IDE. The issues reported above were during the first upgrade attempt from Beta to RC.

Anyway, I tried the steps that you described: I deleted all the *.cache files in both folders and ran "devenv /resetskippkgs", the IDE reloaded successfully and there are no errors to report.

Noël
Posted by Microsoft on 6/14/2012 at 1:24 PM
Hi Noël,
Thanks for your reply and for the extra information. Side-by-side with Visual Studio 2010 shouldn't be a problem, but it's good to know you have that, too. By any chance, are your regional settings or number format settings not set to English? If so, could you please try the following steps?

----

Close your Visual Studio 11 instances

In the Control Panel under "Advanced Settings", go to the "Number formats" and change the negative number sign to “-“ (U+002D).

Delete the files under
%localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ComponentModelCache
and
%localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Extensions\*.cache

If you skipped loading any package, you'll have to run:
devenv /resetskippkgs from the command line

---

Jordan Hofker
Posted by Noël Danjou on 6/14/2012 at 6:58 AM
Hi Jordan,

If I recall correctly, the installation of the Beta was fast and smooth and I did not get any messages in any way at that time. I forgot to mention that I've got Visual Studio 2010 Premium installed as well, I don't know if that makes a difference though, since both products are supposed to work independently and side-by-side. Regarding the Beta to RC upgrade, I think I reported all the issues that I encoutered in my description above. I wish I had more information to provide you but currently I cannot think of anything else, sorry.
Noël
Posted by Microsoft on 6/13/2012 at 12:58 PM
Hi Noël,
Thank you for reporting this issue. Unfortunately, we're unable to reproduce the issue. It seems that there was some sort of corruption during the Beta, or during the Beta to RC upgrade that we can't see when trying to reproduce this issue. If you can think of anything done during the Beta that might help us track this issue down, we'd certainly appreciate it.

Andrewtri,
Could you elaborate on which part of the issue you're seeing as well? If you have any details on the issue, we'd greatly appreciate it if you could share them, too.

Jordan Hofker
Posted by andrewtri on 6/4/2012 at 10:37 PM
I suffer the same problem. In addition, the regime has stopped working "Check In" in VS2010
Posted by Microsoft on 6/4/2012 at 10:03 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 6/2/2012 at 11:42 AM