Support C++ Desktop Applications in Visual Studio 2012 Express - by Cygon4

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 6/4/2012 2:17:25 AM

As an independent games developer, completely removing support for traditional C++ applications from Visual Studio 2012 Express puts me in a difficult spot.

C++11 has added some desperately needed features to the C++ environment, especially standardized threading support. I've been jumping at the opportunity to use C++11 in my projects and being able to use threads in Open Source libraries without forcing Boost, TBB or POCO on them.

Now I'm stuck with Visual C++ 2010 Express if I want to continue supporting Windows 7.

Or I have to buy Visual Studio 2012 Professional for $500. Which adds a significant hurdle to collaborating with other developers on my projects. And most Open Source libraries will probably stop testing their code against Visual Studio 2012 for the same reason, so I can expect lots of compilation problems in the future if I take this route.

The only way out seems to be to switch to Eclipse + MingW (GCC port for Windows). Which has the upside of making it easier to port my code to iPhone and Android (same compiler). But I'd still have to drag along Visual Studio 2012 Express and keep my code working on 2 different compilers if I wanted to keep targeting WinRT/Metro.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/16/2012 at 4:00 PM
Thank you for the feedback. We are closing this bug as fixed, with the release of Windows Desktop Express.

Meredith
Visual Studio PM
Posted by discovery7 on 6/12/2012 at 1:42 PM
ITS ACCEPTED :DDD

ACCEPTED
ACCEPTED

Credits to Cygon4 - This kind of news deserves to stand out more. I think I did a better job, with all due respect. :)
Posted by Cygon4 on 6/8/2012 at 10:29 AM
I guess with today's announcement on the Visual Studio blog...

...this ticket now deserves a "resolved" status :)

A big thank you to the whole Visual Studio team, now the C++ future is finally looking bright and I can introduce C++11 in my projects without worry!
Posted by Microsoft on 6/4/2012 at 4:09 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by MS-Moderator01 on 6/4/2012 at 2:43 AM