Fakes Framework is not available in VS12 Premium - by kjf15

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

Opened 6/5/2012 12:39:07 PM

I have just downloaded the VS12 RC Premium release (Version: 11.0.50522.1) and am trying to generate the Fakes assembly in a Unit Test project. However, when I right click on the assembly to generate the Fakes assembly, I do not  get the option in the context menu: 'Add Fakes Assembly'. Based on the documentation it looks like the Fakes framework should be included in the Premium edition? We can see it in the Ultimate edition of VS12. We have installed this version on three other computers with the same problem.

Posted by tocsa on 8/1/2013 at 10:09 AM
Posted by tocsa on 5/20/2013 at 3:30 PM
With the VS2012 Update 2 now Fakes is available in Premium too.
Posted by BenPatt on 4/6/2013 at 6:18 AM
I realize this is an old question, but I feel I must vent my frustration with this madness. On what planet do the people creating all the unit tests all have Visual Studio Ultimate? Insane, you just destroyed a very promising technology. I realize you're trying to milk it for as much money as possible, but please be reasonable.
I'm now hoping the mono guys implement this and we can port it back to windows again. This will probably force you to do the right thing and release Fakes to the people who actually will use it, and everyone's time will be wasted. +10 for the idea and implementation -100,000,000 for rollout.
Posted by RocketRob on 8/22/2012 at 1:34 PM
I have downloaded VS12 Premium RTM. I created a new project using the MFC project wizard. As soon as I finish the wizard, I get an error message:

The 'FakesPackage' package did not load correctly.

The problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the installation of another extension.

The error directs me to lok at a log file, which contains the following info:

<entry>
    <time>2012/08/22 20:20:40.520</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <source>VisualStudio</source>
    <description>CreateInstance failed for package [FakesPackage]</description>
    <guid>{12B27EE7-3AA0-474E-8BB8-DD1A3BB2BCED}</guid>
    <hr>80070002</hr>
    <errorinfo>Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Fakes\Microsoft.QualityTools.Testing.Fakes.VsPackage.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.</errorinfo>
</entry>
<entry>
    <record>433</record>
    <time>2012/08/22 20:20:40.520</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <source>VisualStudio</source>
    <description>End package load [FakesPackage]</description>
    <guid>{12B27EE7-3AA0-474E-8BB8-DD1A3BB2BCED}</guid>
    <hr>80004005 - E_FAIL</hr>
</entry>
</activity>

Again, I've installed the Premium edition (RTM) and did not do anything except use the new project wizard. This also happens on my current VS2010 projects when I upgrade them to VS 2012.
Posted by cPrinciple on 6/20/2012 at 2:33 PM
I've created a project with tests using fakes in vs2012rc Ultimate. I checked it into gated tfs 2012 rc and it built ok. I update the project in vs2010sp1 and it compiled and the test ran just fine. However, I updated the project in vs2012rs premium and the fake assemblies could not be found and the project would not compile.

Can Microsoft please point me to some current documentation that will define what visual studio 2012 fakes functionality will be available in which SKUs? Including what will function properly in vs2010sp1?

Respectfully,

David C
Posted by Microsoft on 6/14/2012 at 7:54 AM
Just to clarify for you. The documentation link is an error and will be corrected. Fakes will ship only in Visual Studio Ultimate.

Thanks,
Joshua Weber
Posted by tpersing on 6/12/2012 at 5:56 AM
But your documentation states that Fakes is available in Visual Studio Premium. Look at the link posted. Is the documentation wrong or will this be changed in the final release?
Posted by Microsoft on 6/7/2012 at 10:01 AM
Hi,

Thanks for submitting feedback. I understand your desire to see Fakes in Visual Studio Premium, but I'm afraid that Fakes will only ship in Visual Studio Ultimate.

Regards,
Ian Bavey
Posted by Microsoft on 6/5/2012 at 10:43 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 6/5/2012 at 7:11 PM