C++11 header <cinttypes> is missing (Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 RC 11.0.50522.1) by uvts_cvs

as Deferred Help for as Deferred

Opened: 6/13/2012 2:04:38 AM

In Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 RC 11.0.50522.1 the C++11 header <cinttypes> is missing.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/16/2013 at 2:54 PM
Hi again,

We've implemented <inttypes.h>/<cinttypes>, and they will be available in VS 2013 RTM. <stdbool.h> (with compiler support for C99 _Bool) and <cstdbool> will also be available in VS 2013 RTM.

Stephan T. Lavavej
Senior Developer - Visual C++ Libraries
stl@microsoft.com
Posted by LeoTh3Lion on 1/30/2013 at 4:43 AM
I am a college student taking a C course. I have VS 2010 through the MSDNAA, from a .NET class I took. If Microsoft wants students to use their products in the future, they should make more of an effort to have it compliant with current standards. I can't use VS for my class anymore due to the missing header files, and if ever programming in C, I probably wouldn't use it again unless this is fixed.
Posted by Shane Hickson on 12/6/2012 at 3:12 AM
Please consider <stdbool.h>. Its the easiest C99 library to implement!

According to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8548521/trying-to-use-include-stdbool-h-in-vs-2010, the C99 <stdbool.h> is one of the rare headers where that is actually likely to work. Most other headers are tightly bound to the compiler and wouldn't work with another implementation without lots of tweaking.

Here is the FreeBSD version of <stdbool.h> http://gel.sourceforge.net/examples/stdbool_8h-source.php

Here is the Apple''s version: http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-1456.1.26/EXTERNAL_HEADERS/stdbool.h

and last but not least, a sample stdbool.c file: http://neweceweb.ucsd.edu/courses/ECE15/FA_2011/programs/stdbool.c

Posted by Real McCoy on 12/5/2012 at 7:22 PM
As per the discussion on http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/773523/, please consider implementing <stdbool.h> and other missing headers like <inttypes.h> etc. from C99 and C++'s <cinttypes.h>. Also, the C11 libraries such as <stdatomic.h>, <stdalign.h> and<threads.h> etc.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/18/2012 at 4:52 PM
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this bug. I'm Microsoft's maintainer of the STL, and I wanted to let you know that while this bug remains active in our database, it won't be fixed in VC11 RTM (VS 2012 RTM). All bugs are important to us, but some are more severe than others and rise to the top of our priority queue.

I'm copying-and-pasting this response across all of the STL's active Connect bugs, but the following terse comments apply specifically to your bug:

* For C++11 conformance, we're interested in implementing the C99 Standard Library (as we've already done with <stdint.h>/<cstdint>), including <inttypes.h>/<cinttypes>. It isn't our highest priority, but it is on our radar. As a companion to <stdint.h>, <inttypes.h> is probably the next C99 header we'd look at.

I can't promise when we'll be able to resolve this bug, but we hope to do so as soon as possible (and I'll send another response when that happens) - our first opportunity will be the "out of band" release between VC11 and VC12 that Herb Sutter announced at the GoingNative 2012 conference.

Note: Connect doesn't notify me about comments. If you have any further questions, please E-mail me.

Stephan T. Lavavej
Senior Developer - Visual C++ Libraries
stl@microsoft.com
Posted by Microsoft on 6/13/2012 at 11:59 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 11 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for review. We will contact you if we require any additional information.

Posted by Microsoft on 6/13/2012 at 2:51 AM