Test Results window does not show test results - by W_N

Deferred<br /><br />
		The product team has reviewed this issue and has deferred it for consideration at a later time.<br /><br />

Opened 6/20/2012 2:07:24 PM

The Test Results window in VS2012 RC does not show the results of unit tests that were executed, unlike the Test Results window in VS2010.  While VS2012 RC does have the new Test Explorer window that also shows test results, it is not as useful and does not really explain why the Test Results window still exists but does not work.
Posted by AndreyM3 on 10/6/2014 at 9:08 AM
This is the worst design decision from Microsoft that I ever experienced with. Microsoft team should understand the difference between unit and functional tests. Test Explorer maybe a relatively good optimization for the unit tests, but not for the functional tests. Our company has invested tons of time and effort into writing the functional tests which test our Web services using the Microsoft’s testing framework. I was expecting improvements and what we got is huge step back. It’s OK to add new features, but this is very strong principle in the software world – don’t break backward compatibility. I think that maybe we should prepare for next feature in VS which will be compiling code from the command line only.
Posted by Vinay [MSFT] on 5/30/2014 at 12:01 AM
Thanks for all of your feedback. We are evaluating ways to add back this capability in Visual Studio.

Posted by fsleeper on 5/16/2014 at 2:03 PM
Interesting concept. Will you be removing the "Edit" capability from MS Word soon too?
Posted by Richard in VA on 2/28/2014 at 6:17 AM
Please reopen this issue as "Another dumb decision from Microsoft that should be reversed". In what universe is removing useful functionality acceptable?
Posted by ostema on 2/27/2014 at 12:10 AM

I have been searching for a while for a config to enable the creation of the trx files.
Here I find the answer...

I also am a demander to enable logging to file of the results of every testrun.
I am writing coded UI tests, and run the tests from within the VS2013 IDE (while test in development, or when finished, I run the test "manual" from VS IDE few times).
I log using testcontext.writeline (versionnr of application tested, step being tested, ...) and want to keep the testrun log for later reference.
Posted by Vinay [MSFT] on 12/4/2013 at 11:03 PM
Heard it loud and clear. This is being tracked as backlog for a future release of Visual Studio.

Posted by AaronLST on 12/3/2013 at 3:35 PM
"our hypothesis is that in an IDE developer is only interested in current test results"

See comments here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12102482/vs2012-making-test-results-appear-in-the-test-results-window
asked: 1 year ago
viewed: 4130 times

Hypothesis disproven.
Posted by Vinay [MSFT] on 11/12/2013 at 7:56 PM
With the introduction of Test Explorer in Visual Studio 2012, our hypothesis is that in an IDE developer is only interested in current test results. Is it still possible log results into Trx files by using command line runner:
     vstest.console.exe MyTests.dll /logger:Trx
Check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/jj155796.aspx for more details on VSTest command line runner.

Alternatively, you can check this blog post to persist Test Results for MSTest from Visual Studio IDE:

@Arno Peters,acarlonvsn1:
In VS 2013 we added an In Progress state to currently running tests. With this you can determine the running tests right from test explorer.

Posted by Florin Neamtu on 8/15/2013 at 6:20 PM
I so regret that I just upgraded to vs2012 - in a normal software company which lives by competing for customers 're-architecting' (sic!) the Test Explorer window and ending up with the non-sense of vs2012, the so called 'architect' would be fired, or at least demoted!

Since when 're-architecting' is an excuse for loss of usability? I still don't understand the benefits of this 're-architecture'. Or, if by any chance you probably had some good intentions originally, why did you release this software if it's in this unusable state?
Posted by acarlonvsn1 on 7/4/2013 at 10:06 PM
+1 to Arno Peters comment. Not being able to see the test progress is really annoying. Seems like a backwards step.
Also, I can't see a way to see the order that the tests ran in. So, if a test fails and seems to be an environment thing then I am unsure of what put the environment in that state.
Posted by Arno Peters on 6/20/2013 at 5:47 AM
For me, Test Explorer window is fine for results - but it lacks a way to see progress - the original Test Results Window would reset the status of all selected tests to "not run" every time a new run was started, and update count after every completed test. Test Explorer on the other hand just keeps the old results - until at some unknown moment in the future ALL tests are completed and suddenly all results show op.

From a productivity standpoint this is very irritating - having no idea how much longer the total test set will take makes it a lot more difficult to plan other activities during a test run. With a testset of over 900 tests, I spend a too much of time alt-tabbing hoping that the tests have finished.
Posted by Wild n Cool on 3/5/2013 at 1:36 AM
You can also call me to explain this on my cell @ 9718656054 any time.

I need the soluion for this very urgently.
Posted by Wild n Cool on 3/5/2013 at 1:14 AM
Can you please guide me how to use "vstest.console.exe". Do I need to download and install this utility from internet or this is available somewhere in the VSTS 2012 itself?

I am very new to this tool. Please help.

Quick reply will be really really appreciable.
Posted by Mathew [MSFT] on 6/21/2012 at 9:17 PM
In VS 2012, we have rearchitected the Unit Test Framework in order to make it more extensible and scalable. As part of this work, we have deprecated Test results viewer and the trx file format. If you run new unit tests, trx file is not generated and therefore it is not shown in the Test Results Window.

If you still need to generate a trx, you can do so using the vstest.console.exe. It has command line option to log results in trx format.

Mathew Aniyan
Program Manager - Visual Studio ALM.
Posted by Bin [MSFT] on 6/21/2012 at 12:37 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 11 and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for review. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 6/20/2012 at 2:50 PM