Not able to Publish Web Application after installing Visual Studio 2012 RTW - by Bobby.Diaz

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 8/15/2012 11:31:46 PM

Getting following error message when trying to deploy an MVC Web Application:

The Web Publishing extension is not installed which is required to publish.  You can install it from
Posted by Christopher Kellner on 11/20/2013 at 10:04 PM
Encountered the same problem on Visual Studio 2013 after a Azure SDK 2.1 install.
But the problem was solved really quick using:

devenv /setup
devenv /updateconfiguration

in the Visual Studio 2013 command promt running as an admin.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/4/2013 at 1:22 PM
Hi daniheck, if you're still having trouble, could get a call stack as Bala described below by attaching a debugger to the VS session when you run into the error? Otherwise we can try a remote debugging session. Please contact me at johnwen (at) microsoft (dot) com.

Posted by daniheck on 11/14/2012 at 6:13 AM
I still got this Problem with VS2012RTM on a blank Win8 Machine with a complete fresh VS2012 Installation and Windows Azure Tools October release.
Posted by Anthony Trudeau on 11/8/2012 at 3:51 PM
I had the same problem. The workaround presented by Michael Baird resolved my problem.
Posted by MartinFr- on 10/9/2012 at 7:50 PM
I got the same problem. Have tried to use the repair function and the running the commands mentioned by Bala, but still not working.

Probably has something to do with having VS2012 RC or VS2010 installed previously.
Posted by Bala [MSFT] on 9/28/2012 at 12:04 PM
hi Bobby, here's one more thing to try. Can you attach a debugger to the VS session when you invoke the Publish dialog and send us the call stack? You can send an email to balach-AT-microsoft-DOT-com. If we can do a remote session and take a look at your machine, that might probably help as well. Please let me know at the above email address and we shall try our best to resolve this issue.

Bala Chirtsabesan.
Visual Web Developer Team
Posted by Bobby.Diaz on 9/28/2012 at 9:54 AM
No, running those two commands did not work for me. I still receive the same error when trying to Publish an MVC Web Application.

Posted by Bala [MSFT] on 9/19/2012 at 1:33 AM
Sorry to hear that everyone is running into this problem. If you run into the problem again, can you try opening a VS 2012 command prompt as administrator and run the following command?
devenv /setup
devenv /updateconfiguration

Does that fix the problem without having to uninstall and re-install?

Bala Chirtsabesan
Visual Web Developer Team
Posted by davidshq on 9/11/2012 at 12:28 PM
I am having this problem as well. I had VS2012RC installed, removed it and installed VS2012RTM, and this issue has begun occurring. Critical to resolve ASAP.
Posted by Vesselin Obreshkov on 8/26/2012 at 6:23 PM
Workaround worked for me. I'm able to publish to Azure again. Wonder what exactly broke it in the first place.
Posted by Vesselin Obreshkov on 8/25/2012 at 2:55 PM
I am experiencing the same issue exactly the same as Michael Baird.
Posted by Michael Baird on 8/20/2012 at 9:26 AM
I am experiencing the same error. The link in the error explains that Windows Azure SDK for .NET (VS 2012) is needed. I already have that installed but I did try to re-install it as well as repair VS2012. Neither worked!
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 8/16/2012 at 1:44 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 8/15/2012 at 11:50 PM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(