Home Dashboard Directory Help
Search

Visual Studio hangs at "Starting the roles for the application in the Windows Azure compute emulator". Exception from HRESULT: 0x800401F3 (CO_E_CLASSSTRING) by sigol


Status: 

Active


11
0
Sign in
to vote
Type: Bug
ID: 758533
Opened: 8/17/2012 10:09:55 AM
Access Restriction: Public
4
Workaround(s)
view
6
User(s) can reproduce this bug

Description

For more information, please read my forum post here:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsazuredevelopment/thread/ad362016-16f6-459a-8022-9307aa5f910e


This is a re-producable issue. If you create a Windows Azure project with two end points, one http and one https everything works fine. If you then check in to TFS it still works fine.

If you then check out on to another machine then suddenly it stops working, even if you re-install the certificate, etc. on this new machine.

If you then go back to the original machine, and check out the project, it no longer works.

It seems that as soon as you introduce a second machine in to the development of the project (under TFS) it stops.

According to other people, this occurs regardless of whether you use TFS or GIT.

From then on, the only way to get the project to run/debug on your dev machine is to remove the https endpoint.

However, if you compile and publish the app to Azure with both endpoints, they work perfectly.

So the current development cycle for me is, remove https endpoint and develop as needed, debug, etc.

When it's time to build and publish, add the https endpoint in to the project, publish and then remove it to continue developing.
Details
Sign in to post a comment.
Posted by sigol on 8/23/2012 at 5:03 AM
Hi, do you still need a demo project from me?
The description above shows the steps to reproduce the issue every time.
I cannot reproduce it any more, since I have now installed IIS on my dev machine. This works around the bug.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/23/2012 at 3:31 AM
oh, we are sorry that the tool has some question leading to send the repetitive information.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/23/2012 at 3:25 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/23/2012 at 3:25 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/23/2012 at 3:25 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/23/2012 at 3:24 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/20/2012 at 6:40 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us a demo project so that we can conduct further research?

Please submit this information to us within 3 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Microsoft on 8/17/2012 at 10:52 AM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(http://support.microsoft.com)
Sign in to post a workaround.
Posted by Hu Ha on 11/5/2012 at 11:58 PM
I confirm workaround as described under http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/nl-NL/windowsazuredevelopment/thread/ad362016-16f6-459a-8022-9307aa5f910e by Benjimawoo.
On my german system I had to activate "Internetinformationsdienste" under "Windows-Funktionen aktivieren oder deaktivieren". Now endpoint works fine.
Posted by sigol on 8/20/2012 at 12:59 PM
Confirm workaround posted above by sonicbum and as proposed by Benjimawoo from MSDN forum.
Installing IIS on the dev machine fixes the issue.
You do NOT need to use IIS as the host for the development project. It simply needs to be on the machine.
Posted by sonicbum on 8/20/2012 at 8:18 AM
Seems even if Azure project has IISExpress selected, that installing IIS features will allow the SSL endpoint. I can see that IIS Express is what's serving up my debug sites, but adding IIS features defiantly fixed it for me.
Posted by sigol on 8/17/2012 at 10:12 AM
Presently, the only way I can see to work around this issue is to remove the https endpoint during development. Obviously before publishing the app to Azure, you'll need to add it back in again. Once published, you need to remove the https endpoint again to continue working.