Could not find ItemTemplate path by vs2010junkie

Resolved
 as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 8/17/2012 2:52:06 PM

After installing Visual Studio 2012 RTM on top of Visual Studio 2012 RC and creating a new ASP.Net Empty Web Application project, I am unable to add a New Web Form to my project. When attempting to add a new Web Form, I receive the error message: "Could not find a part of the path ....\WebForm.zip\WebForm.vstemplate"
Posted by rtpHarry on 1/9/2013 at 4:52 AM
I have experienced a similar problem adding a class, saying the following error:

Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplatesCache\Web\CSharp\1033\Class.zip\Class.vstemplate'.

I applied the workaround to rename the folder from Class to Class.zip and noticed that this error only occurs when you try to add a class while the website is currently running. When I stopped the debugger it then went back to looking for the path "....\1033\Class\Class.vstemplate" (no.zip).

Also for reference I previously had 2012RC installed and now have 2012RTM
Posted by cichanlx on 1/5/2013 at 9:50 PM
Nice job Microsoft. The RC expires in 8 days. Any chance you can fix this before thousands of people suffer the wrath? Oh, wait, you can't reproduce it, so the problem doesn't exist. No real company tells a customer that line of bull.
Posted by Sebigbos on 9/21/2012 at 12:45 PM
Right after installing Visual Studio 2012 RTM on top of Visual Studio 2012 RC one week ago, everything was fine. Yesterday, I updated the help system (using the "Help Content Manager") and also updated VS as recommended by some automatic update wizard.
Concerning the ItemTemplatesCache folder, I see no foldernames ending on .zip, neither under ItemTemplatesCache nor under ItemTemplates (from where the copy will be taken to (re)create ItemTemplatesCache on calling "devenv /installvstemplates" (... I suppose...). Also I stated, that the folder's modification date is exactly the time, when I performed the help system update.

ProjectTemplates are still working fine.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/20/2012 at 4:13 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

We are rerouting this issue to the appropriate group within the Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/17/2012 at 3:52 PM
Posted by rtpHarry on 1/9/2013 at 4:55 AM
Possible workaround is if you are running the debugger press stop and try adding it again. When website is running for me it wanted the .zip extension on the folders. When I stopped the debugger and tried again the context menu changed and showed a lot more options.

Trying to add a class then complained it couldn't find the folder because I had just renamed it to .zip. Renaming it back to what it was (just \class\, no .zip) made the whole problem go away.
Posted by NetMage on 10/17/2012 at 12:23 PM
In the appropriate 1033 folder, I did as suggested by vcsjones, but for all the folders using a cmd prompt:

cd to the 1033 folder
for /d %i in (*.) do xcopy /e /i %i %i.zip
Posted by vcsjones on 8/20/2012 at 1:33 PM
See this StackOverflow post for a possible work around:

File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size