Image Library Missing From Visual Studio 2012? - by pvdg42

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 8/21/2012 5:27:42 AM

I read a post in the MSDN Visual Studio Setup forum from a user claiming his VS 2012 (RTM) Ultimate installation had no ImageLibrary (presumably named

I searched for the image library (full install drive search) on my Win 8 Pro (RTM)/VS 2012 Ultimate (RTM) system and confirmed that the image library appears to be missing.
Posted by Cathy [MSFT] on 5/9/2014 at 9:10 AM
We just released the Visual Studio 2013 Image Library. You can find the library here: The Visual Studio 2013 image library includes legacy images (from previous versions including VS2012), new images for 2013, and now also the .ai source files in vector format. Readme files are also included in the PDF format for the Common Elements and Icon types. These readme files include information about how to use these images appropriately in your applications.

Cathy Sullivan

Posted by Jan Kučera on 3/6/2014 at 3:29 AM
Any update for Visual Studio 2013?
Posted by HideoYamashita on 4/14/2013 at 11:22 PM
We got introduced following link to download "Image Library"
Visual Studio Image Library

In documentation, it mentioned about following two images, but actual file not found in the pacakge.
Word Document View 2010
             Visual Studio Icon Library - Icons.PDF(P53)
Excel Worksheet View
             Visual Studio Icon Library - Icons.PDF(P16)

Would you advise if we can find those icons from somewhere else?
Posted by Chandramouleswaran Ravichandran on 1/28/2013 at 12:46 PM
Are there any plans to also add the XAML version of the icon's to the package?
Posted by Daniel Smith on 1/1/2013 at 5:11 PM
Thank goodness all the decent icons from the prior version of Visual Studio are still included in the "x--archive--x" folder.

At least the IDE team have copies of all those nice icons so they can restore them when they finally give in to overwhelming public demand!
Posted by pvdg42 on 12/1/2012 at 6:58 AM
Thanks very much for the download link!
Please consider this issue closed.
Posted by Cathy [MSFT] on 11/30/2012 at 10:52 AM
Hi Folks,

The image library has just been released to the Microsoft Download Center. You can find the library available for download here:

We appreciate your patience while we worked on getting the release reviewed and approved internally.

Visual Studio UX and IDE Teams
Posted by Fraser Tustian on 11/27/2012 at 7:08 PM
I'm sure they'll include it in the Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 that just got released...

D'oh!!! :(
Posted by Fat_Duck on 11/26/2012 at 10:55 AM
Whats so difficult in uploading the Library for those who doesnt have them!?
Posted by pmoretti on 11/25/2012 at 7:49 AM
So, do we have to wait for another 3 months to download this library?
Is is really so difficult to provide this link?
Posted by JBinPDX on 11/18/2012 at 12:22 PM
I needed this like three months ago. Where is the promised download? PLEASE!!!
Posted by Greg5050 on 11/15/2012 at 1:54 AM
Bump! I have come to a point in my project where I would really like to use a default image. Is this still not available? I am dissapoint
Posted by BryanCall on 11/1/2012 at 8:55 PM
Any updates? Is it posted somewhere and we all just don't know where?
Posted by Daniel Latikaynen on 11/1/2012 at 5:28 AM
go ahead! If my customers had to wait two weeks for a promised download to appear online, they'd drop me as their supplier. Since VS2012 Ultimate does not exactly come for free, this Claim should have deserved some priority.
Posted by bobokoxvi on 10/27/2012 at 7:11 PM
If Microsoft will pay me $50,000 I will show you how to copy a damn zip file to your download site, and then your team can work on more important stuff.
Posted by askstringer on 10/25/2012 at 6:01 PM
Any news guys?
Posted by srjarmstrong on 10/22/2012 at 8:50 PM
Should VS2012 Professional have the image Library because it is not there either.
Posted by Cathy [MSFT] on 10/18/2012 at 8:38 AM
Hi Folks - We are currently working on making the library available for download.

Visual Studio UX
Posted by bmewburn on 10/17/2012 at 2:56 PM
I agree with lemiarty. Make the library available for download in the meantime. It's been 2 months since VS2012 release and I don't want to have to use a 3rd party lib.
Posted by lemiarty on 10/14/2012 at 4:14 PM
In the mean time, how about putting the image library up somewhere we can download?

That is, assuming it has different/more images than 2010, if not, I'll use that.
Posted by Cathy [MSFT] on 10/9/2012 at 9:53 AM
Hi Folks,

We’re actively working to address the missing image library issue and apologize for the inconvenience this may be causing. Please stay tuned.

Visual Studio UX
Posted by Daniel Latikaynen on 10/9/2012 at 6:19 AM
same here. voted up.
Posted by mutterholzbein on 10/8/2012 at 11:41 AM
hey guys,

i have the same problem (vs 2012 ultimate)!
and by the way, the usual path didn't contains the imageLibrary...
any suggestions yet?!

greetz, me
Posted by Henning Krause on 10/8/2012 at 1:17 AM
Any News on this?
Posted by ashwin.n on 9/30/2012 at 9:29 PM
I cannot find the image library with my installation of Visual Studio 2012 Premium either.
Posted by Maximilian Haru Raditya on 9/27/2012 at 4:33 PM
Any words on why and when this will be resolved?
Posted by DJ PIP on 9/15/2012 at 9:47 AM
Documentation on-line mentions its location, again can confirm that it is not there!
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 8/21/2012 at 7:34 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 8/21/2012 at 5:53 AM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(