Syntax highlighting sometimes not working - by joto84

Opened 8/29/2012 4:24:57 AM

Syntax highlighting for classes, input variables etc. does work for most of the files in my solution, but there is one cpp-file that it doesn't. When you open the file you see that it highlights, but only for a millisecond, and then it disappaears again.

Highlighting for words like if, while, return, true, false works fine. I use Visual C++. All other solutions and files that I work with works great. It doesn't mather if I close the file and opens it again, or restart the computer or so, it's just this file that don't work.
Posted by Oleg [MSFT] on 2/8/2013 at 4:24 PM

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. This indeed is a bug in our product. After reviewing your reported issue in the context of all the issues reported to us, we are considering fixing this bug in one of our future releases.

The issue has been added to our internal database, so while it will be closed in Connect, it will continue to be evaluated in the future along with other issues.

Thank you for helping make Visual Studio a better product!

Oleg Kharitonov,
Visual C++
Posted by Microsoft on 12/19/2012 at 2:03 PM

I understand that you cannot share out the sources from your company.

Is there any way that you can reduce the file down to a smaller size that still reproduces the issue, but does not contain IP? For example, changing names and removing function definition bodies.

~Pete Steijn
Visual C++ Team
Posted by Microsoft on 8/30/2012 at 5:18 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by joto84 on 8/30/2012 at 12:15 AM
Since the cpp-file contains code from my company, I am not allowed to distribute it to anyone outside the company.

But after some research on my own I discovered that if I removed (or uncommented) a quite large block commented code (218 lines, each line commented with '//') the syntax highlighting begun to work again.

The whole cpp-file contains around 5200 lines of code. The commented code block begins at line 175.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/29/2012 at 11:10 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us the cpp-file so that we can conduct further research?

Please submit this information to us within 3 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 8/29/2012 at 4:50 AM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(