Indentation In visual studio 2012 - by Heilige-Hoender

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 10/4/2012 1:45:15 AM

we are still using classic asp mixed with .net 4 and we recently moved over to TFS 2012 and visual studio 2012 and we have picked up an issue that was not there in visual studio 2010 and this is indentation in classic asp.

When I press enter to go onto the next line it does not go to where the other indentation starts, and this is wasting a lot of our time have to press tab to the correct position in the source code.

Please see attached file.

Kind Regards
Posted by keith.ndb on 2/6/2015 at 8:31 AM
As HeavenCore stated, this bug is EASILY reproducible. The same problem still exists in VS 2013. Fix this please, it makes VS a terrible choice for coding classic ASP files.
Posted by HeavenCore on 8/20/2013 at 2:29 AM
Microsoft, this issue is easily reproduced! I have attached a little video demonstrating the problem in Visual Studio 2013 Update 3.

In the video I type ??? each time my cursor is moved to the wrong indentation level.

In the video I also switch to "Smart" indentation for all languages to try and force the IDE, as you'll note in the video - this has no effect.

Link to video for other users:

Please please please provide a fix for this!
Posted by Dustin [MSFT] on 12/20/2012 at 9:26 AM

Unfortunately, we aren't able to repro with the information provided. Could you provide a sample or detailed repro steps to help us find the problem?

Kind Regard,
Dustin Campbell
Visual Studio Managed Languages
Posted by J. Bourgeois on 11/17/2012 at 8:27 AM
I have the same problem in the VB editor when working on a Windows Application.

The C# editor works well, but in VB, indenting is erratic. It works for a while and suddenly stop working. Saving the page sometimes correct the problem. Getting out of VS and relaunching always corrects it.

If it can help, I have found that if you activate Smart Indenting for All Languages in the VS Text Editor options, it does not stay set. When you come back in the options, no indenting is set. It does stay activated under VB however.
Posted by AceProject on 11/15/2012 at 1:05 PM
Hi. We also have this problem.
I noticed that the cursor goes 1 "tab" to the right of the last <% tag.
If I move the <% tag 1 tab, my indentation goes 2 tab right. But, the indentation is always 2 tab.
In studio 2008/2010, if I insert a tab, when I type enter, the indentation keep the same as the previous line.
I just reset my studio2012 settings and it does not solve the issue.

Also, is it possible to get "auto-indent" like in ? :-) (special request!)
Ctrl-K-D that fully indent my asp files vbscript code would be very nice!
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 10/4/2012 at 8:46 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 10/4/2012 at 1:51 AM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(