Macros missing - Now getting RSI having to manually alter 100 lines of code - by aegistoo

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 10/25/2012 3:39:53 AM

Macros seem to be missing from VS2012. Whilst small features like this seem insignificant, they are a great help in everyday programming.
Posted by r_spackman on 7/17/2013 at 1:56 PM
Agree with the other users. Macros are one of the power-user features that increases productivity WAY beyond the novice programmer. Please bring this back.
Posted by jfjerstad on 7/17/2013 at 12:21 PM
I suspect that there is a high percentage of users who use VS macros via Record and Play who simply have the option to send feedback to Microsoft turned off -- so we are unaccounted for. I have a hard time imagining an experienced VS user not making use of VS macros.

What is it about supporting Record and Play in Visual Studio that's so hard? Does it require some cleaning up of the code base? If so, everyone would benefit from that in the long run. Right?
Posted by useridtaken on 1/22/2013 at 1:53 AM
I can't believe this feature has been taken out on purpose. I'm very disappointed. I spent a while looking for the menu item, only to find that the feature was removed!
Posted by AlexanderVat on 12/2/2012 at 6:39 AM
Please, Microsoft, give us back macros. And please, allow us to write them in our .NET language of choice.
Posted by PaoloPablito on 11/30/2012 at 2:50 AM
I voted at:
Posted by Microsoft on 11/29/2012 at 11:06 AM
Thank you for providing us more details on what you're trying to accomplish. Unfortunately, we have removed support for macros in Visual Studio 2012 and do not at this time have plans to support your scenario with macros.

Please feel free to log a new suggestion on our UserVoice site or add your votes to an existing macros related suggestion: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/.

Thanks,
Cathy Sullivan
VS IDE Team
Posted by PaoloPablito on 11/28/2012 at 4:39 AM
Good point with Intellisense. I wish to add what I already said in the "alternative solutions" tab: "sometimes Notepad++ does not behave exactly like Visual Studio 2010 and older. Furthermore, in Visual Studio you can record your keystrokes and then EDIT the generated macro to add extra magic. You cannot do this in Notepad++, Notepad++ just records the keystrokes and plays them back.
Posted by aegistoo on 11/27/2012 at 1:04 AM
I have outlined the repro steps but here it is in shorter form..

Ok lets say I have a windows form with 30 controls on it. I then create a Load() and Save() method, to fill the textboxes etc from a class e.g. settings and then save the values back to a class. The Natural thing to do in the Load() method would be this..

textBoxName.Text = settings.Name;
textBoxFolder.Text = settings.Folder;
etc

in my Save class it's virtually a simple matter of swapping these round, so what I would do in the older VS's would be to paste all the 30 statements into my save method. I would then record the actions to edit the first line (i.e. settings.Name = textBoxName.Text) and then just repeat the macro to correct all the others.

I do a lot of this type of work when filling classes from databases and then writing the values back to the database e.g. via DataSets

I know there is RIA and a whole load of other wonderful ways to populate classes from databases, and there is probably ways to populate forms from classes but sometimes the older ways are better.

I know you can copy the code out to NotePad++ (or EditPlus which I have) but to lose a simple feature like recording macros seems absurd, you also miss out on intellisense especially when working with non string values in NotePad++

You may have statistics showing its not used much, but like many other people I always decline to automatically provide feedback (I don't like these "Big Brother watching you" type features - I know it probably isn't but still I never say yes to it)
Posted by Microsoft on 11/26/2012 at 4:07 PM
Thank you for providing your feedback and using Visual Studio 2012! In the scenario you have outlined in your repro steps are you using Snippets or a Quick Task? Adding more details to the repro steps will help us better understand what you're trying to do here.

Thanks,
Cathy Sullivan
VS IDE Team
Posted by Microsoft on 10/25/2012 at 7:43 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

We are rerouting this issue to the appropriate group within the Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/25/2012 at 3:50 AM