Can't remote debug on my Surface-RT - by Gábor Mánich

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 12/4/2012 2:53:20 PM

I have a Surface-RT device and try to debug my application on it. I have installed Visual Studio Remote Debugging tools on Surface and configured them.

In VS2012 (both machines DevPC and Surface are on same Wifi network) I try to locate my surface but VS2012 is unable to locate Surface. If I enter IP address to my surface and try to debug the application on surface I get following error: "Error: Unable to connect to the Microsoft Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor named '192.168.1.111:4016'.  The Microsoft Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor (MSVSMON.EXE) does not appear to be running on the remote computer. This may be because a firewall is preventing communication to the remote computer. Please see Help for assistance on configuring remote debugging."

I checked firewall, disabled authentication, nothing helped. Any ideas what shoud I do?

Thanks,
Gabor Manich
Posted by LukePuplett on 11/7/2014 at 2:51 AM
I don't know if Microsoft updated something on Windows RT, but it doesn't work at all now. I got it working once in the last week, but considering all that I have tried since, I actually think it was a bug; that is was a bug/anomoly in Windows that suddenly opened the port.

See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26692159/why-cant-visual-studio-2013-see-the-remote-debugger-running-on-my-surface
Posted by JulesW on 12/12/2013 at 1:33 PM
I am having similar problems

I cannot connect to a Nokia Lumia 2520 Windows 8.1 RT Machine, from a VS2012 Debug Session running on W8.1 Pro.
I downloaded and installed VS2012 Update 4 Remote Debugging Tools for ARM, installed under Admin. I can ping between both machines, on local Wireless network. I switched off User Authentication. Still unable to establish a Remote Debug Connection.

Its a real pain, as I need to test performance and sensors on a real device. (Side loading Apps Package transfers installs is also failing for me as well. Crashes on Splash Screen. ) So its all a bit of a mess, with no clear direction from Microsoft on how to correct this networking/ Remote Debugging sessions. Not Good.
Posted by LukePuplett on 11/4/2013 at 12:57 PM
Hello - I'm not sure about Gabor's problem here, but for me, a lot of the connectivity issue is related to the length of time it takes for the wireless to get back online after sleep. At least I think that's the problem.

The device can fall asleep again by the time its on the network, which might be sleeping the wireless radio and resetting the process. This was exacerbated by a short idle sleep timeout on the device to conserve battery.

Since upping the sleep idle time to a few minutes, and waiting a while before trying to remote debug, its better. I now only Remotely Debug occasionally, using the simulator most of the time, unlike phone development where I always push to the device.

Using desktop apps isn't a great experience, i.e. using the existing Remote Debugger on a little touch screen is fiddly in practice. On the whole I think an integration point in the modern OS itself would be better, including a network status indicator (if that is found to be the issue).
Posted by Marc [MSFT] on 1/28/2013 at 1:06 PM
Hello Gabor,

Can you let me know what version of the VS client and what version of the remote debugger you're trying to use? I'd recommed using the update 1 version of the remote tools http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30674. It should be compatible with both the RTM and Update 1 version of the VS client.

Let me know.

Marc Paine
Visual Studio Debugger QA Lead
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 12/5/2012 at 1:09 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 12/4/2012 at 3:51 PM