VS2012 error creating control. error hresult e_fail has been returned from a call to a com component - by KCSmith

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 1/4/2013 4:18:36 AM

I have an ASP.NET web application, all fine in VS2010, but in design mode in VS2012 shows "error creating control. error hresult e_fail has been returned from a call to a com component" for all ASP controls and custom usercontrols. Projects appear to build and run properly. WHAT SETTING OR UPDATE IS MISSING PLEASE?
Posted by KCSmith on 1/14/2013 at 11:54 AM
I saw alot of these posts around, one of which suggested putting various assembly tags to system assemblies in web.config which I did, and upon restarting VS it seemed to work. I have not yet tried removing them and retrying. On a separate note, I had to do a VS2012 update to allow backward project compatibility with 2010. Maybe this had an effect also.
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 1/13/2013 at 11:57 PM
Hi, given that we have not heard back from you in these days. We will go ahead and close this Connect Issue. If you get a chance to review and provide the information requested earlier, you can go ahead and reactivate this issue.
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 1/9/2013 at 12:58 AM
I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience with information I request, we will be able to make headway towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 1/6/2013 at 6:37 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us a demo project to demonstrate this issue so that we can conduct further research?

We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team