TF31003 with VS2012, Team Foundation Service, multiple Microsoft accounts, and Windows 8 - by SteveElmer

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

Opened 1/4/2013 11:28:35 AM

I do work for two different companies and have a Microsoft account/identity for each.  I created a Team Foundation Service account ( for the first company under my first Microsoft account and successfully connected via Visual Studio and created and checked in a simple test project.  I then created a Team Foundation Service account ( for the second company under my other Microsoft account and was again able to create a simple test project and check it in.

However, when I now go back and attempt to connect to the first TFS account, I get a TF31003 error.  The "Retry" link does not work.  Neither does the "Sign In" link.  I have since tried using the "Open new instance of Visual Studio" link from the browser based viewer of the first account but still get the same error.

The first account is still good as I have been able to connect to it from a virtual machine.  But I have had absolutely no luck on my main dev machine.  It seems as if VS 2012 has fixated attached itself to my second Microsoft account and there is no way to get it to "forget" the second account and use the first account.  I would have expected that when clicking the "Sign In" link on the "Connect to Team Foundation Server" dialog, I would be presented with fields to enter the credentials for my first Microsoft account.  However, it appears to be simple trying to connect to the first TFS account using the credentials associated with the second TFS account.
Posted by Giulio Fronterotta on 9/11/2013 at 2:38 AM
By Design ? That's unacceptable !
Posted by neoscoob on 7/23/2013 at 8:26 PM
How can this be closed as by-design? It's an absolutely maddening issue, and the work-around is not working.
Posted by Will [MSFT] on 2/21/2013 at 5:48 AM
Hi Steve - sorry again for the inconvenience. We are working to improve this experience in the next major release. Our goal is to allow you to define as many connections as you want, but we would use a different approach for authenticating with TFS (an approach that would not rely on cookies). This will allow you to quickly switch between between different accounts/identities without jumping through hoops.

Once we start public betas of the next release of VS, I encourage you to try this new functionality out.

Will Smythe
Program Manager on Team Foundation Server
Posted by Will [MSFT] on 2/18/2013 at 6:14 PM
Sorry for the inconvenience. Please try this workaround and let us know if it doesn't work for you: from the Connect to TFS dialog in VS, select your active TF Service account from the drop-down, click the Sign Out link at the bottom of the dialog, switch to your other account and attempt to sign in.
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 1/6/2013 at 11:24 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 1/4/2013 at 11:51 AM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(