VS2012 has no apparent support for simple HTML or Classic ASP - by BN Cox

Opened 1/24/2013 8:45:25 AM

If I go to open a new project, there is support for every arcane development type under the sun, but no support for a simple HTML or simple classic ASP file?  When I go into the help, there is zero support for classic ASP or straight HTML.  I still have hundreds of modules written in classic ASP that I still have to support.  If I just want a new HTML 5 template, I can't get one.  It is not easy or straightforward to debug a classic ASP application in VS2012.  Why isn't there any help for it?  I mean there is nothing.  Yet I can find help and support for the most arcane and barely used type of feature at all.  This makes no sense.  It also makes VS2012 harder to use.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/22/2013 at 1:29 PM
Thank you for passing along this issue to us. We evaluate all the feedback our customers submit, but unfortunately we cannot fix every item that comes in. We have evaluated the issue you submitted, and at this point, we do not anticipate releasing an update for it. If the issue is blocking you from using the product, please contact our support via the Visual Studio Help and Support (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/cc136615.aspx) page on MSDN.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/28/2013 at 12:23 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by BN Cox on 1/25/2013 at 8:07 AM
Also, I am not the first one to report this. I have seen numerous comments from other developers all over the internet complaining about this very same issue, and Microsoft just goes on ignoring it and ignoring it's developers. How can you do this? How can you spend huge amounts of money developing detailed features that nobody hardly ever uses while overlooking some of the most basic and obvious things that are sorely needed. It is missing the whole forest while being lost among a thousand trees type of mentality. The response to my feedback is a perfect example of how far off the deep end things have gotten. You know my feedback has nothing to do with generating all those debugging type of outputs. It shows very clearly you do not read nor care about the feedback, so why even collect it then?
Posted by BN Cox on 1/25/2013 at 8:01 AM
Hi, there really isn't a way to upload files, collect trace and dump files, collect steps to reproduce the issue, generate SQM logs about VS extensions installed or output system details in DxDiag output. None of these things apply. What I am saying is that the features are completely missing from VS2012. The features are missing not only from the interface but also from the documentation. I don't know how to say it more clearly than that.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/24/2013 at 9:30 PM
Thanks for your feedback. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please use Visual Studio 11 Feedback Tool to collect steps while you're repro'ing the issue?

Visual Studio now has an extension called Visual Studio 11 Feedback Tool , available on the VS gallery(http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f8a5aac8-0418-4f88-9d34-bdbe2c4cfe72).

The extension allows you to
1.    upload files,
2.    collect trace and dump files
3.    collect steps while you're repro'ing the issue, as well as
4.    SQM logs about VS extensions installed
5.    System details (in DxDiag output)

We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team