Large WSDL causing VS2012 to crash - by Zach Dunton

Status : 

  Deferred<br /><br />
		The product team has reviewed this issue and has deferred it for consideration at a later time.<br /><br />
		A more detailed explanation for the resolution of this particular item may have been provided in the comments section.

Sign in
to vote
ID 777798 Comments
Status Closed Workarounds
Type Bug Repros 3
Opened 1/29/2013 12:51:54 PM
Access Restriction Public


When I debug and try to connect to a Web Reference or a Service Reference, memory usage spikes then,I get a Microsoft Visual Studio Fatal Error (A fatal error has occurred and debugging needs to be terminated. For more details, please see the Microsoft Help and Support web site. HResult=0x8007000e, ErrorCode 0x0) . This happens for any call I've made so far to the web service.

The workaround below did not work. I still have the same behavior. 
Sign in to post a comment.
Posted by Parmjeet Kumar Dhiman on 7/17/2014 at 11:24 PM
I have solved this issue, what you have to do is you have to go first on Property page of your project then go to Build Section then in Output Section on right bottom there is a drop down "Generate Serialization Assembly" set this to "On" and Mark Check box of XML Documentation file. & in Output Path specify your folder like "bin\Release\" if its Release mode & "bin\Debug\" if its Debug mode. by this problem would be solve.
Posted by Marc [MSFT] on 2/1/2013 at 4:00 PM
Hey Zach,

The behavior change was introduced in the .NET Framework 4.5 update. VS 2012 includes that with the install (and doesn't uninstall the 4.5 framework) which is why you see the behavior with VS 2012 simply installed on the box. You would have to uninstall 4.5 to unblock VS 2010 I believe.

I'm not sure why the workarounds aren't working for you. Do you have more than one binary that uses xmlseralizer to generate dynamic assemblies? I'm not aware of any other workarounds and a fix from the .NET framework team is not planned in the short term unfortuantely.


Posted by Zach Dunton on 1/31/2013 at 11:13 AM
I tried both work around neither worked. We have a computer with VS2010 that can debug correctly. On both developer machines that have had VS2012 installed, neither can debug the web service in either VS2010 or VS2012 even after uninstalling both and re-installing VS2010
Posted by Marc [MSFT] on 1/30/2013 at 11:33 AM
Hello Zach,

Thanks for reaching out to us and trying the workaround.

The workaround from this other bug should work for this:

Did you try both sgen.exe and svcutil.exe as workarounds? We are preparing a doc that describes the workaround and issue in more detail. If neither workaround works, we'll need the repro project in order to investigate further.

Marc Paine
Visual Studio Debugger QA Lead
Posted by milkyc on 1/30/2013 at 10:40 AM
I'm having similar problems--only it doesnt crash Visual Studio 2012. Rather, it just causes it to run extremely slowly.
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 1/29/2013 at 6:17 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

We are rerouting this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 1/29/2013 at 1:50 PM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(