Debug .NET Framework Source does not work under Windows 8 - by William Bosacker

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 2/3/2013 4:35:13 PM

I've spent the better half of today trying to step into the System.Runtime.Serialization.Json.DataContractJsonSerializer.ReadObject() method, as it appears to be ignoring EnumMemberAttribute decorations.  No matter what I do VS 2012 will not step into any .NET Framework DLL.  I followed the directions at:

to no avail.  Every post that I have found that involves attempting to do this on a Windows 8 machine, has ended in failure.  All the posts in the Microsoft forums related to this, state the same thing:

As it stands, there is no possible way to debug .NET Framework code.
Posted by Beerman006 on 3/29/2014 at 8:44 AM
I can also reproduce this issue. I'm using Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate, on two different Windows 8.1 computers, and the story is the same on both. No sample program is necessary - given the following two lines:
var list = new List<object>();
var image = new BitmapImage();
I can step into the constructor for List, but not the constructor for BitmapImage (or System.Windows.Control, or XamlReader, or Point, etc etc). All of my co-workers on Windows 7 computers can step in with no problem.
Posted by William Bosacker on 3/15/2013 at 11:20 PM
You can go ahead and close this out. We've reverted all of our machines back to Windows 7, where everything works fine. We've decided to skip Windows 8 and wait for the release of a desktop operating system.
Posted by William Bosacker on 2/16/2013 at 8:44 AM
I've been a little busy and haven't had the time to get back to this. However, I am also in the process of removing Windows 8 from all of my machines and going back to Windows 7, as Windows 8 is not worth the pain and does not work very well on domains at all. When I get a chance I'll give you the link to the project on CodePlex, which I haven't released as of yet.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/14/2013 at 8:14 PM
Hi, given that we have not heard back from you in these days. We will go ahead and close this Connect Issue. If you get a chance to review and provide the information requested earlier, you can go ahead and reactivate this issue.
Posted by William Bosacker on 2/7/2013 at 8:06 PM
I'll try to get something to you next week. I've never had any trouble reproducing this on any Windows 8 machine, as others are saying the exact same thing. It just doesn't work at all, so I'm not sure why you are saying that it is working for you.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/7/2013 at 12:14 AM

I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience with information I request, we will be able to make headway towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/4/2013 at 12:57 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us a demo project to demonstrate this issue so that we can conduct further research?

We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team