Access Denied for TFS in the Cloud - by KyleMcGinn

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

Opened 2/7/2013 12:22:11 PM

I am receiving Access Denied messages when I try checking out or checking in changes. The checkin is succesfuly but keep getting the message. I am checking in using Visual Studio 2012.

Please help.
Posted by Matthew [MSFT] on 5/6/2013 at 7:37 AM
Thanks for all of the additional information. The behavior that you're seeing here is likely related to running VS as admin when you created your workspace. In this case, the files on your local disk are protected by the OS, meaning that the "access denied" message you see when running as non-admin is by design. To work around this issue, you can run VS as admin, delete the workspace, delete the files on disk from an elevated windows explorer, close VS, re-run as non-admin, then create a new workspace.

Program Manager | TFS Version Control
Posted by Taylor [MSFT] on 5/2/2013 at 1:56 PM
Thanks for the extra information, again :). I actually think this is a client-only issue. Something that would be interesting to try: Create a new local workspace while running as administrator and then create another while not running as administrator. Now run VS without administrator priviledges. Do you see errors while using either of the new workspaces?

Posted by JanOveHalvorsen on 5/2/2013 at 1:46 PM
I forgot to add the following "clue":
I only see this problem at my office workstation. I never see it at my home workstation.
They are both running Win8 and VS2012.2.
The online difference is the broadband speed. My office has high-speed internet access.
My home network has a much slower internet connection. Could it be a timing issue?
I also have a laptop where I see this problem when using it at my office, or at customers with high-speed internet access, but never when using it at home... It seems a long shot, but anyway...
Posted by Taylor [MSFT] on 5/2/2013 at 9:03 AM
Thanks for the extra information! We'll take another look at this and see if it is expected that you need to be running VS as an administrator.

Posted by JanOveHalvorsen on 5/2/2013 at 7:08 AM
Sorry it took me so long to respond.
I have attached a file produced according to the procedure below.
I can confirm it does not happen when running VS as an administrator.
I have installed the VS2012.2 update. It did not help.
Posted by KyleMcGinn on 2/27/2013 at 11:55 AM
I was able resolve the issue by reinstalling Windows and Visual Studio. I think it had to do with a bad install of Visual Studio and using Windows 8. I am now running just fine with Windows 7. Thanks.
Posted by Taylor [MSFT] on 2/27/2013 at 11:37 AM
We are going to close this due to a lack of response. If someone can get us this information we'd be glad to investigate further.

TFS Version Control
Posted by Taylor [MSFT] on 2/18/2013 at 7:44 AM
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the info! My first thought is that you don't have access to some of the local metadata files. Those could be found in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft Team Foundation Local Workspaces. Could you check there so wee if you have write permission to everything in that folder? Next, could you try to run Visual Studio as an Administrator for a while to see if we can rule that out as a cause?

Finally, if neither of those things work, it would help to turn on logging in VS so we can find out what you don't have access to. To do that, follow these steps: 1. Close all Visual Studio instances. 2. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE and open devenv.exe.config. 3. Add the xml at the bottom of this message inside the <configuration> node. Note, there might already be an appSettings element that you'll have to add the two TFTrace.* keys to. 4. Save and close that file. 5. Create the C:\TFLogFiles directory. This is where the log files will go. 6. Open VS and work until you get a repro of the problem. 7. Close VS and then attach the logs that were created to this bug.

Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks in advance!

<add key="TFTrace.Writer" value="true" />
        <add key="TFTrace.DirectoryName" value="C:\\TFLogFiles" />
        <add key="VersionControl.EnableSoapTracing" value="true" />

<add name="TeamFoundationSoapProxy" value="4" />
            <add name="VersionControl" value="4" />
            <add name="LocalWorkspaces" value="4" />
Posted by JanOveHalvorsen on 2/18/2013 at 7:07 AM
I'm seeing exactly the same issue and here are my answers to the questions below:
1) Yes, it seems to happen only with local workspaces (Connected to my account)
2) No, checkins/checkouts does not always succeed (it also happens sporadically when I'm not deliberatley performing checkins/checkouts, which is annoying...)
3) Yes, I have created other workspaces, and they have the same issue.
4) It seems to not happen when I run VS in admin mode (have not spent much time testing this though...) As far as I remember I did not create the Workspaces as admin.
I'm running Win8 Ent and VS2012 Premium (11.0.51106.01 Update 1)
Posted by Matthew [MSFT] on 2/14/2013 at 7:34 AM
Thanks for reporting this issue. We think this is a permissions issue on the local file system. A few questions that we're hoping you can answer:

- Is this a local workspace?
- Are you sure the checkin is succeeding? For example, can you see the changesets in history?
- Are you able to create another workspace? If so, does it have the same problem?
- Did you possibly create your workspace as an Admin, or change permissions on part of the workspace? Does this still repro if you run VS as local Admin?

Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 2/11/2013 at 11:07 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by KyleMcGinn on 2/8/2013 at 7:06 AM
I have added a screen shot to this as requested. This is what happens when I check-in my work. It will display this message but then I can go into TFS and see my changes.
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 2/7/2013 at 9:40 PM
Can you create a screen shot and attach it to the bug? The easiest way to do this is to hit the PrtScn button on the keyboard, paste it into Microsoft Paint and save it as a .PNG file.
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 2/7/2013 at 12:50 PM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(