VS doesn't behave correctly when the project properties command-line arguments includes an argument with the greater-than character (>). This behavior is particularly problematic when putting a password in as a command-line argument (a password may have a > character in it).
When trying to work around the VS F5 behavior, this behavior is even more surprising.
1. Create a new Console App (VS 2012).
2. Add the following lines to Main:
3. On project properties (Debug tab), set the command-line arguments to (include the quotes):
4. Debug the application (F5). Note that it works (the output is "pass^>word").
5. Execute the application (Ctrl+F5). Note that it dosen’t work. Specifically, args is now different; it outputs "pass^>word" instead of "pass>word", silently adding a ^ character before the > character.