Visual Studio 2012 Remote Debugger Crashes when Solution is open - by Travis Shepherd

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 3/5/2013 7:47:54 AM

Update August 29, 2013: I have reproduced this again and am attaching a full crash dump of msvsmon.

When using Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 to remote debug, the remote debugger will crash if I have a solution open when I attach.

Visual Studio immediately reports an error "The network connection to <server>:4016 has been lost.  Debugging will be aborted."  A few seconds later the remote server shows "Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor has stopped working."  Interestingly enough, if I "Close the program" the monitor UI is still running.

If I attempt to attach again, I receive an error that a debugger is already attached to the process.

If I close Visual Studio and the remote debugging agent and start over - this time without opening a solution.  I am able to connect without any issues.

-Client (VS) development machine is Windows 8 x64.
-Remote machine is Windows 2008R2 SP1.
-No firewall is involved.
-VS machine is on a domain, with local user account with the same credentials as domain account.
-Remote machine is on a different domain, also with a local account with the same credentials as VS local account.
-MSVSMON is running elevated as the local account
-I am attaching to IIS 7.5 (w3wp.exe) on the remote machine, using x64 Managed .NET 4.0/4.5
Posted by Travis Shepherd on 8/30/2013 at 7:46 AM
I used the VS feedback tool, but I don't see any attachments on the incident. The zipped dump file was ~100MB so I cannot upload it via the web. How can I submit the dump?
Posted by Travis Shepherd on 8/29/2013 at 4:03 PM
Update August 29, 2013: I have reproduced this again and am in the process of uploading the crash dump of msvsmon.exe.
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 3/18/2013 at 3:17 AM
Thanks for your response. Based on current status, this bug is not actionable if we do not have any useful information. I would like to ask your permission to close this feedback. Should you find any bugs in the future, please feel free to let us know.
Posted by Travis Shepherd on 3/12/2013 at 3:35 PM
I have not been able to duplicate the few times I have tried connecting yesterday and today. I will update the ticket the next time this occurs.
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 3/12/2013 at 1:01 AM
I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience with information I request, we will be able to make headway towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Travis Shepherd on 3/8/2013 at 7:38 AM
I will need a little more time to collect this data as I am out of the office this week. I will try and gather what you need on Monday
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 3/6/2013 at 1:30 AM
Thanks for your feedback. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us a dump file so that we can conduct further research?

Visual Studio now has an extension called Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Feedback Tool, available on the VS gallery(

The extension allows you to
1. upload files,
2. collect trace and dump files
3. collect steps while you're repro'ing the issue, as well as
4. SQM logs about VS extensions installed
5. System details (in DxDiag output)

Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 3/5/2013 at 10:51 AM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(