Package 'ReferenceManagerPackage' failed to load. - by aurelien.bonnel

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 3/6/2013 8:44:14 AM

Package 'ReferenceManagerPackage' failed to load coming up when trying to insert a reference in any solution module. The same error comes up with a brand new solution without any classes or changes made.

DO NOT CLOSE THE ITEM UNLESS A RESOLUTION HAS BEEN MET. This is still an issue after a month.

Posted by SilverKnight7 on 8/26/2014 at 1:04 PM
I had this same problem with VS2013 - some update broke it, update 3 failed to fix it:
I installed the following "Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 SDK" from

That in and of itself failed to fix the problem.
open a visual studio command prompt as administrator (I have x64 Win7, so it got installed here)
make sure all instances of VS2013 are closed

cd c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VSSDK\VisualStudioIntegration\Common\Assemblies\v4.0
gacutil /i Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.11.0.dll /f

Restart VS2013 and you should now be able to add references.
Posted by scott_m on 6/7/2014 at 10:29 AM
I can't add a reference to another project in my solution either. Originally I got this error when attempting to add reference to another project in the solution.

A numeric comparison was attempted on "$(TargetPlatformVersion)" that evaluates to "" instead of a number, in condition "'$(TargetPlatformVersion)' > '8.0'". C:\Program Files

Thinking it may have something to do with resharper or nuget, I decided to relaunch VS2013 in safe mode. In safe mode, I attempted to add the reference again. Now I get this error:

Package 'ReferenceManagerPackage' failed to load.

Please advise.

VS2013 12.0.30501.00
JetBrains ReSharper 8.2.1 C# Edition
Build 8.2.1000.4556 on 2014-05-19T17:12:38
Posted by Will [MSFT] on 3/14/2014 at 11:08 AM
Hello and thank you for the update. Unfortunately, since we cannot reproduce this issue internally we need detailed setup logs from your machine before we can pursue the issue further.

To get the logs, first uninstall and reinstall Visual Studio and all Updates. Next, please download the setup log collection tool ( and run it. Please attach the setup log CAB that it generates.
Posted by Brane62 on 3/14/2014 at 10:55 AM
This issue is still actual. I cant add referece in Visual Studio Premium 2013, Update 1. My system is Windows 8 Enterprise. Please try to find and resolve the problem as soon as possible.
Posted by Wh Treacher on 10/29/2013 at 7:20 AM
I really hope that this problem can be solved quickly so that the users of VS can finish their project(s) without wasting time.
Posted by Wh Treacher on 10/29/2013 at 7:16 AM
I met this problem too when I try to add a reference. I hope this problem can be solve although VS 2013 is now available.

(I'm using VS 2012 Ultimate Update 3)

I tried to repair the whole product but it still can't solve the problem.
Posted by Dave Ryan on 6/19/2013 at 6:15 AM
The same thing has happened to me and reinstall and repair do not fix the issue.
Posted by Will [MSFT] on 4/25/2013 at 11:55 AM
We are resolving this issue as we have not heard back from you for some time. Please feel free to reopen it if appropriate. Thank you.
Posted by Will [MSFT] on 4/19/2013 at 12:01 PM
Hello. This error indicates that this component has not been properly deployed to your machine. To further investigate the issue we need detailed setup logs. To get these, first uninstall and reinstall Visual Studio and all Updates. Next, please download the setup log collection tool ( and run it. Please attach the setup log CAB that it generates.
Posted by zzLZHzz on 4/13/2013 at 5:54 PM
the exact error is as below:
    <time>2013/04/14 00:49:11.860</time>
    <description>CreateInstance failed for package [ReferenceManagerPackage]</description>
    <errorinfo>Could not load type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsReferenceManager2' from assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.11.0, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.</errorinfo>

but how do we resolve the error?
Posted by aurelien.bonnel on 4/1/2013 at 6:46 AM
I reinstalled in those conditions defined below, and still the same issue. Please assist.
Posted by Will [MSFT] on 3/29/2013 at 2:33 PM
This appears to be a machine specific issue. Please ensure that when you reinstall Visual Studio there are no extensions enabled and ensure there are no applications such as anti-malware running that could be preventing the install from completing successfully.
Posted by aurelien.bonnel on 3/18/2013 at 1:45 PM

Repairing and re-installing have no effect, I still get the same issue. Please let me know what information I need to send to you in order to enable you to reproduce.

Posted by Will [MSFT] on 3/12/2013 at 5:03 PM
Hello and thank you for your feedback. We were unable to reproduce this issue in our labs. From the description, it sounds like there has been an installation problem. Please repair or reinstall Visual Studio and let us know if this does not resolve the issue.
Posted by aurelien.bonnel on 3/8/2013 at 8:34 AM

This item was created 2 days ago, and no one has yet got in touch. Could you please provide an update?

Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 3/6/2013 at 10:38 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 3/6/2013 at 8:51 AM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(