Designer error using reportviewer 2010 in visual studio 2012 - by sandygettings

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

ID 782000 Comments
Opened 3/24/2013 4:46:11 PM

I converted a project from VS 2010 to VS 2012. Everything runs ok, but all ReportViewer 2012 controls show an error in the web page designer: Error Creating Control - Failed to create designer 'Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer, Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=...
Posted by Michael [MSFT] on 2/19/2014 at 11:21 AM
Changes were made between where the RV control looks for assemblies between Visual Studio 2010 and 2012. So, you can try ensuring that the issue-causing assembly is where Visual Studio expects. If you run a process explorer you can filter for the devenv process and find in which directory the WebForms.ReportViewer.dll is assumed to be, if it doesn't exist there then copying it over may solve the problem.

Michael Griscom
SSRS Tiger Dev
Posted by Bill Kuhn on 2/16/2014 at 6:17 PM
This is closed and considered "by design"???

What kind of BS is that? Just call a bug that has existed in versions since at lease VS2008 "by design"???

VS2008, VS2010, VS2012, VS2013 all have the same bug. I'm fighting it tonight in VS2013.

That's great.

Thanks Microsoft.
Posted by joeller on 8/9/2013 at 9:59 AM
I removed the reference to the 9.0.0.0 assemblies. But when I tried to add the references to the 10.0.0.0 assemblies, no reference was added. No error was reported.
Posted by karmyogi on 7/16/2013 at 12:59 PM
Did you guys figure out resolution on this? I am having the same issue for VS 2012 after upgrade from .NET Framework 3.5 to 4.0 in Visual Studio 2012.

Thanks,
Posted by Microsoft on 7/4/2013 at 1:07 AM
Hi -- when moving between Visual Studio versions, you will need to remove and add refrerences to "Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms". (Basically, you need to remove the reference to the 10.0 version and add a reference to the 11.0 version.)
Posted by Bill Kuhn on 5/15/2013 at 1:17 PM
I'm having the same issue. Opening the project in VS2012, all the pages with reportviewer controls on them give the Failed to Create Designer error in design view. I can open the project in VS2010 and design view works fine.

All references are to "Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a". I have the 10.0 DLLs in the bin folder, and my references to Microsoft.ReportViewer.Webforms and .Common point to the DLLs in the bin folder. Web.config only has references to 10.0.0.0. I've searched all the files and found no version conflicts.

This seems to be a common issue from what I find on the web.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/25/2013 at 2:27 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 3/24/2013 at 4:52 PM