Intellisense stops working in VS2012 - by JonasKellens

Deferred<br /><br />
		The product team has reviewed this issue and has deferred it for consideration at a later time.<br /><br />

Opened 4/30/2013 7:30:27 AM

Intellisense stops working for me in VS2012 in the following scenario:

1. In a C# code window, I type something that will bring up Intellisense (for example: "this.").
2. With Intellisense showing, I click on a different document tab to go to another code window.
3. I click back on the original code window. The cursor is located just after the period in "this." and Intellisense is not displayed.
4. I hit backspace and re-type the period.

At this point, Intellisense stops working on that code document. I can sometimes bring Intellisense back by closing and re-opening the document. Otherwise I need to restart VS2012.
Posted by Bob Dust on 4/1/2014 at 10:29 AM
None of the three work-arounds work for me; not even a cold start. This is annoying.
Posted by Ala [MSFT] on 5/13/2013 at 11:39 AM
Thanks for logging this issue. We copied it to our work backlog, and we will address this issue as our schedule permits.

In the meanwhile, we recommend using the workarounds mentioned in this thread.

Language Experience Team
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 5/2/2013 at 11:26 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by JonasKellens on 5/2/2013 at 3:17 AM
It looks like it is maybe connected with this:
Extensions that use the same part of visual studio breaks the intellisense:

It has a link to another Bug(could be the same bug).

For now I have 3 workarrounds:
1) close the document en reopen it in visual studio aand it will works again.
2) if you have 2 screens you can move VS to other screen and intellisense works again.
3) restart VS

Option 2 let me wonder if this is a rendering bug? It looks like it's there but invisible.
If i disconnect the second screen the bug also exist. (but option 2 is not possible to fix it).

I don't know if you can reproduce it, People from devexpress researched this and found out it has something to do with the VS API for extension.
please look at this:

Thanks for your time and your help!
If you need more information I'm happy to help.
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 5/2/2013 at 2:15 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.

In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Please export and reset environment settings file by clicking Tools-> Import and Export Settings. If this issue does not persist after that, please zip the settings file and send it to us so that we can conduct further.

Please try this (from a Visual Studio command prompt with devenv in the path):

devenv /resetuserdata

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible. If we do not hear back from you within 7 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 4/30/2013 at 7:50 AM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(