Visual Studio 2012 hangs - by Stow

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 5/3/2013 9:07:33 AM

Running Visual Studio 2012 ... was debugging ... visual studio window went black .. waited a long time and it didn't refresh.  Started a new version, it started black.   Let the system stop and restart Visual Studio and it was still hanging.   Finally had to restart my machine.

Added a new stack trace ... editing xaml ... visual studio hung ... killed it ... restarted it ... went into an infinite loop ... finally killed it after 10 mintues of cpu time.   Please respond with more than closing this ... what's going on here?
Posted by LoopM on 10/28/2014 at 2:36 PM

“This issue was finally identified to be due to the wpf presentation font cache referring a corrupt dat file. We had this issue raised with Microsoft and the problem was identified to be due to the WPF font cache getting corrupt possibly due to faulty video drivers. The resolution is to recreate the corrupt file and update the video drivers or to disable the font cache service”
Posted by Ashok [MSFT] on 7/29/2013 at 7:43 PM
Thanks for uploading the dump. This is what it showed -

1. WPF is waiting for the composition engine to signal completion -

2. The composition thread is busy executing deep in the graphics driver code -

3. To see how long the composition thread has been running -

0:004> !runaway
User Mode Time
Thread     Time
0:170     0 days 0:11:45.046
4:19e4     0 days 0:06:40.875
17:184c     0 days 0:00:06.703
2:2040     0 days 0:00:00.390

This shows that nearly a third of CPU time consumed by devenv.exe was on the composition thread (#4 above), which is pretty significant.

Based on this, the conclusion is that this is related to the graphics card. There are couple of suggestions
- Check whether there are driver updates from the graphics card vendor
- If there arent any updates or they do not help, check out this blog post with our suggestion for folks having performance issues due to graphics drivers -

Hope these suggestions help. We will close this issue at this time.
Posted by Chipalo [MSFT] on 7/23/2013 at 9:22 AM
This could be related to your graphics card. Is it a current generation card? Are the drivers updated? Have you seen other reports of WPF not working with your card?
Posted by Stow on 7/16/2013 at 3:05 PM
Added a new stack trace ... editing xaml ... visual studio hung ... killed it ... restarted it ... went into an infinite loop ... finally killed it after 10 mintues of cpu time. Please respond with more than closing this because its not important enough ... what's going on here?

What did the Watson trace show? Give me something. Hard to get work done when the tools go into a loop.
Posted by Chipalo [MSFT] on 7/10/2013 at 12:34 PM
The WPF team has recently reviewed this issue and will not be addressing this issue as at this time the team is focusing on the bugs impacting the highest number of WPF developers. If you believe that this was resolved in error, please reactivate this bug with any necessary supporting details.

We appreciate the feedback. However, this issue will not be addressed in the next version of WPF. Thank you.
–WPF Team.
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 5/21/2013 at 3:15 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Posted by Stow on 5/17/2013 at 9:17 PM
OK ... caught one ... just uploaded two files.

The devenv process was in a loop; cpu time was increasing very fast. Took the dump while it was looping and uploaded it as FeedbackID-786271. I think the debugger was in a breakpoint when I left the machine for 5 or 6 hours. I don't think the computer went to sleep during this time. But when I went back to the machine and tried to continue using devenv, I found it in this hung state. I don't think the CPU was running while I was away; I think it started looping when I returned to the machine.

I killed devenv via "End Task" in the task manager. I tried to restart devenv; the main part of the window opened black. I took a second dump ("FeedbackID-786271 (2).zip").    Initially the cpu time was stuck at 3 seconds. At some point, after creating and uploading the dump, I noticed that the cpu was going on the devenv process. Might even guess that creating the dump file kicked something off.

I killed that second instance and started devenv again. I think the CPU kicks in on the zombie when I click on the devenv window.

Look forward to what you find.
Posted by Stow on 5/17/2013 at 1:38 PM
Haven't seen it again.

One time my whole machine was black and wouldn't wake when Visual Studio had been running. I was unable to make a dump that time.
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 5/16/2013 at 12:15 AM
I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience with information I request, we will be able to make headway towards a resolution. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 5/13/2013 at 1:40 AM
Hi Stow,

Thanks for your reply. Could you please collect a dump using Task Manager if the same issue occurs again?

To create a dump using 32-bit Task Manager:
1.Open a built-in 32-bit task manager under C:\Windows\SysWOW64\taskmgr.exe
2.Select the "Processes" tab
3.Right click the process you wish to take a dump of
4.Select "Create Dump File"
5.A dialogue will appear with the location of the saved dump (The file location can be selected and then copied and pasted).

Please zip the file and use "FeedbackID-786271" as prefix of the file name.

You can use the following workspace to upload the file:
Password: 4[mfysk2[$]QM

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Stow on 5/9/2013 at 6:18 AM
I'm not going to run in safe mode. As this is an intermittent bug I've seen twice over the last week or two, it will not be very useful to turn on safe mode and then wait for it not to happen anymore.    I'm guessing repro steps would be much more useful.    Please let me know if I misunderstand your request that I run in safe mode?

The presence of an add-in shouldn't really matter. Your software should be architected so a single add-in cannot take in the whole sysem. I have no add-ins listed in the add-in manager. I do use add-in-express, but it's never caused me any problems and is required for my development.
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 5/9/2013 at 3:52 AM
Hi Stow,

Thanks for you response. Could you please help to eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins are causing problems? To do this, you need disable Add-ins (e.g. "Tools" | "Add-in Manager") and run "devenv.exe /safemode".

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Stow on 5/6/2013 at 6:28 AM
Just happened again ... put my computer to sleep last night with visual studio running and my program running.    Not sure if I was in the debugger (don't think I was).    When I woke my computer, Visual Studio went into a loop. Looking at the task manager, I could see the CPU time increasing. When it was at 10 or 11 minutes, I closed the Visual Studio window. Said it was looking for a solution, but didn't gather any dump data to send to Microsoft like it did the first time. When I tried to reopen Visual Studio, the main window was black. I tried starting many instances but they were all black. I had to restart my machine.
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 5/5/2013 at 11:11 PM
Thanks for your feedback. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us a dump file and call stack so that we can conduct further research?

Visual Studio now has an extension called Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Feedback Tool, available on the VS gallery(

The extension allows you to
1. upload files,
2. collect trace and dump files
3. collect steps while you're repro'ing the issue, as well as
4. SQM logs about VS extensions installed
5. System details (in DxDiag output)

Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 5/3/2013 at 9:51 AM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(