Visual Studio 2012 Pro won't install on fresh Windows 8.1 - by Alxandr

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 7/1/2013 11:55:07 AM

The web-installer for VS2012 Pro gives me the error that it's beeing run under compatibility-mode (even though it's not). I copied this from the log-file:

Stop Block: CompatibilityMode : Windows Program Compatibility mode is on. Turn it off and then try Setup again.

I made sure in every way I know of (even going into the registry and deleting the node for the install-file in the compatibility-settings) that it was in fact not running in compatibility mode, then I tried to run it in compatibility mode. No matter what I did I got the same error.

The standard installer (not web-installer) seems to work though.
Posted by 3ICE on 2/13/2015 at 3:37 AM
Just tested it*, renaming worked indeed. → vs_professional.exe
Why does the file name matter anyway? I'll never understand...
And if it matters so damn much then why is it changed willy nilly, all the time? By Microsoft itself, even! (DreamSpark is a Microsoft project/offering.)

* I couldn't wait for the 5GB to download, I wanted to begin configuring my install right away, and then go afk.
Update: That turned out to be a mistake, I ran out of free space, install of kb2829760 failed. Hope it fixes itself when I free up a few GB worth of old backups. :)
Posted by 3ICE on 2/13/2015 at 2:57 AM
@ jimbob249 : Select it and hit F2 to change the file name. Alternatively; right click it and choose "Rename".

@ Microsoft : I have the same problem;
My download was placed here: C:\Users\Daniel3ICE\Downloads\Visual Studio Professional 2013 with Update 2 - 32 Bit - Web Installer (English)\
With the name: en_visual_studio_professional_2013_with_update_2_x86_web_installer_4238044.exe
I bought it from Microsoft DreamSpark Premium | Academic Software Discounts.

Instead of renaming it (I don't know what the correct name should be — though probably vs_professional.exe) I'll just download the full 5GB ISO (DVD) package.
Posted by jimbob249 on 9/13/2014 at 8:00 AM
how do i change the filename??
Posted by Will [MSFT] on 7/15/2014 at 7:24 AM
For customers looking to run the Visual Source Safe Upgrade Tool for Team Foundation Server (tfs_VssUpgrade.exe), please use the following link to get the latest version from Visual Studio Gallery.

This version works on Windows 8.1.
Posted by Alexander Rijnbeek on 6/3/2014 at 5:30 AM
This problem is still not fixed, please provide a workaround to get this file working on windows 8.1, the filename is: tfs_VssUpgrade.exe
Posted by Monika Biskupska on 3/20/2014 at 1:52 AM
The file name is tfs_VssUpgrade.exe (I also tried to change it to every other filename mentioned in this thread just to be safe). I run out of ideas what to try next, the installation still fails with CompatibilityMode error.
Posted by Kelly [MSFT] on 3/19/2014 at 11:02 AM
Did you rename the file to tfs_VssUpgrade.exe? If you did and you are still experiencing this issue, please let me know and I can attempt to forward this to the team who owns that tool.
Posted by Monika Biskupska on 3/19/2014 at 12:10 AM
Yes, it seems it's just the same problem with compatibility mode with the same error.
Posted by Kelly Berman - MSFT on 3/18/2014 at 10:34 AM
Hi Monika,

Are you experiencing the same issue with the Visual Source Safe Upgrade tool? Please further describe your experience so we can try and help.
Thank you!
Posted by Monika Biskupska on 3/18/2014 at 8:11 AM
What about tfs_VssUpgrade.exe (Visual Source Safe Upgrade Tool for Team Foundation Server) ?
Posted by Wray Smallwood on 10/5/2013 at 8:50 AM
Resolves the issue for me (original name was name from MSDN)
Posted by Kelly [MSFT] on 9/19/2013 at 2:54 PM
Hello Alxandr,

Thank you for taking the time to submit this issue to Connect. This is a known issue with Windows 8.1 RTM and it will be addressed in a future update of Windows 8.1. In the meantime, you can typically rename the EXE to get it to work correctly.

Visual Studio Professional 2012 installer should be renamed to vs_professional.exe
Premium -> vs_premium.exe
Ultimate -> vs_ultimate.exe

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

Kelly Berman
Visual Studio Program Manager
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 7/1/2013 at 12:52 PM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(