Parallel Tasks view doesn't open - by CadErik

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 10/16/2013 9:11:59 PM

During a debugging session I tried opening the parallel tasks view and I got an error message.
Note - the OS is Windows 8.1 RTM
Posted by Cagri [MSFT] on 4/3/2014 at 3:02 PM
This issue has been fixed, unfortunately it will not make Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 at this point, but will make any future updates and all future releases.

Thanks,
Cagri Aslan
Visual Studio Debugger
Posted by Maria [MSFT] on 4/2/2014 at 10:02 AM
Hi,

Just wanted to give an update on this issue. We have discovered what the consistent repro for this is:
1.    On a machine with two different versions of VS (like VS 2012 and VS 2013) installed side-by-side
2.    Create a project with tasks in VS 2012
3.    Start debugging in VS 2012 and open Tasks window, then stop debugging and close VS 2012 (which saves tasks window setting in the .suo file)
4.    Open the “same” project in VS 2013
5.    Start debugging and open Tasks window

And as we did that, we've understood the root cause. We are currently working on a fix.

Thanks,
Maria Ghiondea
Visual Studio Debugger
Posted by D Pease on 12/20/2013 at 9:47 AM
As mentioned in my workaround, I think the problem is an incompletely initialized extension. In my case it was fixable using devenv /setup (no repair needed).
Posted by Maria [MSFT] on 12/11/2013 at 10:33 AM
Hi Jeffrey,

Looks like the issue you were seeing is different. Glad a repair solved it! Was this for a side-by-side scenario as well? Or just that VS might not have been properly installed the first time?

Thanks,
Maria
[Visual Studio Debugger]
Posted by Jeffrey2793 on 12/11/2013 at 8:12 AM
The Visual Studio Repair seems to have fixed my problem.
Posted by Jeffrey2793 on 12/11/2013 at 7:50 AM
I have this (reboot does not help, am running a repair now), and what I think is a related problem. When debugging a .net 4.0 executable, I get "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Parallel.UI.MarkerGlyph" does not have a resource. The icons that show breakpoints do not show and if I move my mouse over the area that they would show, VS crashes.
Posted by Maria [MSFT] on 10/22/2013 at 10:52 PM
Thanks for the extra info CadErik!
Maria (Visual Studio Debugger)
Posted by CadErik on 10/22/2013 at 9:40 PM
I haven't been able to reproduce this issue either.
- What version of Visual Studio are you using?
Visual Studio 2013 RC
- Did you upgrade this version from a previous one? If so, from which one?
I have VS 2012 ultimate installed as well but did not upgrade the settings
- Is Visual Studio installed in English?
English
- I see that you are using Win 8.1 RTM
    - Did you upgrade this from a previous version? Which one?
Yes I upgraded to 8.1 RTM using the ISO
- What language are you using for Windows?
English/locale Canada
- Does the issue repro only with a specific project? And if so, can you please provide it?
Same as the other users, it only happened once. Since then, that window is opening corretly.

Let me know if there is anything else I can try to help you reproduce the issue.
Posted by Maria [MSFT] on 10/22/2013 at 9:44 AM
Thanks Jack! We are trying to repro this internally, but we're having issues getting a consistent repro, which means we can't debug it to get to the bottom of it. Any extra info you provide will be most useful!
Thanks!
Maria (Visual Studio Debugger)
Posted by Jack U on 10/22/2013 at 4:05 AM
Strangely this is now working for me today! I'm not aware of any changes other than a system reboot yesterday.

I'm fairly sure this was not a _first run_ problem as I had restarted VS2013 several times before trying the Tasks window.

I will report back if the issue returns...
Posted by Maria [MSFT] on 10/21/2013 at 12:09 PM
Thanks Alexander!
Maria (Visual Studio Debugger)
Posted by Alexander Steffens on 10/21/2013 at 11:57 AM
Hi Visual Studio Debugger-Team,

as described int the related bug http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/805791/vs-2013-parallel-stack-window-broken,
the issue was only active within the first run of VS2013.

I have seen the issue on a completely updated Win7 Pro x64 German with VS 2005 German, VS 2010 English and VS 2012 English installed side by side. The Preview or RC of VS2013 was not installed on the machine.

VS2013 was installed in English, Premuim Edition.

Best regards.
Posted by Maria [MSFT] on 10/21/2013 at 11:51 AM
From that bug:
This issue affects:
- Tasks
- GPU Threads
- Parallel Stacks
- Parallel Watch
I cannot see anything notable to help with reproducing this.

- I'm running Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise, Core 2 Duo E8500, 8GB RAM, 64-bit.
- We already have VS2012 Pro installed, with various plugins (R# 7.x, Slow Cheetah, SpecFlow, Ghost Doc Pro, Web Essentials, Tools for Git etc.)
- A fresh install of VS2013 Pro was installed. No plugins used. The option to import settings from previous version was ticked).
- Run VS2013 as Admin, loading our .NET 4.5 solution.
- Debug a fairly simple command line application
- Pause the debugging session, then attempt to view taks
- Error message comes up about unable to load xaml.
Posted by Maria [MSFT] on 10/21/2013 at 11:49 AM
Another Connect bug: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/801671/
Posted by Maria [MSFT] on 10/18/2013 at 1:37 PM
another connect bug on this- http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/805791/vs-2013-parallel-stack-window-broken
Posted by Maria [MSFT] on 10/17/2013 at 1:29 PM
Hi CadErik,

First of all thank you for reporting this issue! I understand how frustrating it could be not to be able to fully utilize the features of Visual Studio. Your continuous feedback helps us improve the quality of our releases!

In order for us to determine the cause of the problem, can you, please, provide the below info:
- What version of Visual Studio are you using?
- Did you upgrade this version from a previous one? If so, from which one?
- Is Visual Studio installed in English? If not, what language packs have you installed?
- I see that you are using Win 8.1 RTM
    - Did you upgrade this from a previous version? Which one?
- What language are you using for Windows?

Thank you!
The Visual Studio Debugger
Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 10/17/2013 at 2:55 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Macy [MSFT] on 10/16/2013 at 9:50 PM