libgit2 Error - Trying to checkout/clone a git repository to network path with Visual Studio Tools for Git - by gbdavid2

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 2/18/2014 3:33:31 AM

This issue occurs every time I try to clone my git repository from Visual Studio and set as my local folder a network path:

An error occurred. Detailed message: An error was raised by libgit2. Category = Zlib (Error).
Failed to inflate packfile
Posted by Microsoft on 7/9/2015 at 8:11 AM
Thank you for reactivating this issue. We are already tracking this issue internally, and we'll consider releasing a fix in a future update.

Thanks,
John
Software Engineering Manager | TFS Version Control
Posted by gbdavid2 on 7/1/2015 at 11:50 AM
I reopened the issue so they can hopefully look into it again... for all this time I have been only cloning my repositories locally as I had already given up with this problem...
Posted by ronald_m on 7/1/2015 at 11:41 AM
Yep, still reproducible today. Pretty lame it's been a year since it was reported!

My specific setup: VS2013u4, Win8.1 running in parallels on osx 10.10.4. The home folder is shared between OSX and Win8.1, so it appears as a network drive to Windows/VS2013. I mapped 'z:\' to my \\home\documents and got the same error. If I set destination as 'c:\foo', VS2013u4 works. Disappointing.
Posted by MWatts on 12/11/2014 at 12:29 PM
I just tried this on VS Ultimate 2013 with Update 4 (installed from the MSDN ISO) and the problem is still there.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/27/2014 at 6:37 AM
Sorry David,
This would have been fixed in an earlier 2013 update.; but there was another bug in the authoring of our patch caused it not to have all the latest binaries. Which means that the fix for this and some other issues weren't actually included in the patch. I just checked this scenario on the latest patch-build of 2013 update 4 and its working. Once update 4 releases which I belive will be soon this problem will go away.
Sorry but we are not planning on making any update to the 2012 plugin.

Curtis Pettit
Software Tester- Microsoft Version Control Team
Posted by gbdavid2 on 10/18/2014 at 4:21 AM
The problem is also STILL occurring in VS2012 Update 4 with the latest visual studio tools for git: (UPDATED 4/21/2014) which are also linked to this issue. The development team should aim to update both the integrated tools for git for Visual Studio 2013 and 2014 and also the tools for git extension for Visual Studio 2012. Thanks!
Posted by mike trusov on 10/17/2014 at 6:55 PM
This is still (or once again) broken in vs2013 update 3.
I get the same error when trying to clone repo from VSO to a share using a UNC path or even when that share is mounted as a drive.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/6/2014 at 9:53 AM
Thank you for using Visual Studio and for reporting this bug. We are happy to let you know that this issue has been fixed in Visual Studio 2013 Update 2. If you already have Visual Studio 2013, you can upgrade to Update 2 for free or you can install a trial version from: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9832436
Posted by Tommy Williams - twwilliams on 5/29/2014 at 7:14 AM
I still have this problem even after installing Visual Studio 2013 Update 2.
Posted by gbdavid2 on 2/25/2014 at 1:40 AM
Thanks for working on this issue. I understand that for Visual Studio 2013 the tools for Git are already integrated in the installation. Could you confirm if this update will also be available for Visual Studio 2012 users and the Visual Studio 2012 Tools for Git extension?
Posted by Microsoft on 2/19/2014 at 7:17 PM
Thanks for reporting this issue to us. We'll fix this issue in the upcoming Visual Studio 2013 update2 release.

Thanks,
Jiange Sun
TFS Version Control
Posted by Microsoft on 2/18/2014 at 11:32 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for investigation. We will contact you if we require any additional information. If you require immediate assistance with this issue, please contact product support at http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1117.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/18/2014 at 3:50 AM
Posted by gbdavid2 on 2/18/2014 at 3:35 AM
More info about this bug in the MSDN forum thread: